collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: North Stand building work  (Read 9753 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
North Stand building work
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »
Went past VP on the train today and noticed some scaffolding up at the North Stand/Doug corner.  The screen seems to have gone as well.  Any ideas on what's happening there?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
I think it's just minor upgrading in the stand?

I think it'll be a while before work on the new stand starts.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »
Yeah, someone posted the news about it on a North Stand thread a few weeks ago. Minor enough alterations I think.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:26:20 PM »
Read elsewhere recently from a visitor to VP......Been to Villa Park earlier and work is progressing on the new entrance to R block and the first signs about what a possible new North stand will look like. Most of the horrible cladding has now gone and so has the TV screen backing up the story on another site that there will be a walkway from the North Stand to the Witton as you can see from the scaffolding.

I also know that the old "Visitors entrance" which is for the lower north is part of the upgrade on the facilities with a modern exterior facia and canopy similar to that  outside the Holte Suite apparently. Inside, the dreadful surroundings from entrance to seats in lower north will have new upgraded facilities and improved lighting and roof

Offline villa1

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:48:19 PM »
Quote from: "eamonn"
Yeah, someone posted the news about it on a North Stand thread a few weeks ago. Minor enough alterations I think.

That was me I believe. All I was told is that they were removing the TV screen and putting a 'glass walkway' in instead. I have no idea how it will work, what it will be for or what it will look like.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 10:50:04 PM »
It'll be a couple of years before the proper rebuild is done, at least.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
It'll be a couple of years before the proper rebuild is done, at least.

Dependent on England's World Cup bid?

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »
Quote from: "villa1"
Quote from: "eamonn"

That was me I believe. All I was told is that they were removing the TV screen and putting a 'glass walkway' in instead. I have no idea how it will work, what it will be for or what it will look like.

Modernising that corner I was told last Sunday.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »
when the time comes to knocking down the North stand,
 we could always save demolishion costs by inviting Rangers down again for another friendly match

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 12:11:50 PM »
I get the impression that the board are a bit disappointed with our crowds since they've taken over and plans to rebuild the North Stand have been put back a couple of years.

Offline eastie

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »
An entertaining winning team will solve the crowds problem, easier said than done though.

I want to see villa win and if they entertain too then great , but I'd happily sit in the rain or on an old wooden seat watching it- get the team right and the fans will come back and then when we get full houses we can improve the stadium.

I suppose mine is an old fashioned view - I remember see us win 4-0 at the old roker park in 1984  with hailstones and a biting wind and no roof or cover, but oh what a great afternoon.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »
North stand from the car park looks very run down and unattractive.Hope it will be tided up for beggining of the season.....

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 06:46:20 PM »
Quote from: "WALTERS WARRIORS"
North stand from the car park looks very run down and unattractive.Hope it will be tided up for beggining of the season.....

It has done for quite a few seasons now.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 07:47:15 PM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
I get the impression that the board are a bit disappointed with our crowds since they've taken over and plans to rebuild the North Stand have been put back a couple of years.

What was the average last year?

I ask because I'm not actually sure, but I'm fairly certain that it nudged 40k for the two seasons prior to that. Last year probably fell back a bit I imagine, but that could be as much to do with the recession biting than anything else (mediocre home form probably didn't help, mind).

Not wishing to open up this whole hornets nest again, but I'd be disappointed if the board took that approach. Gates have improved since they pitched up in 2006, and improved pretty substantially. Even against less glamorous opposition.

Our recent history in this dept also indicates that averages have gone up after capacity increases even if we weren't selling out prior to that.

That should be a major consideration, rather than waiting until we actually turn supporters (and income) away at the gate due to lack of capacity (a scenario that -in fairness- I've admittedly only seen about  five times in my adult life).

Building costs would also be cheaper now I'd have thought.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »
Two ways of increasing crowds from  the current level.

1. Win stuff.

2. Buy players people want to come and watch.

The potential is there, but we need a buzz.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal