collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:43:49 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 11:41:37 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs AFC Bournemouth Pre-Match Thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:40:07 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 11:39:58 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:28:19 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:22:15 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by mrfuse
[Today at 11:16:17 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:14:52 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Moston Gets Destroyed by Brian Clough  (Read 12639 times)

Offline Lucky Eddie

John Moston Gets Destroyed by Brian Clough
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 10:24:04 AM »
Quote from: "AsTallAsLions"
Quote from: "Lucky Eddie"
Quote from: "LeeB"
Clough was just rude. I'm not sure that's something that we should all be jumping on here to applaud. Too much football? Back then more than any time since, top level football was surely, first and foremost, a profession for the coaching staff and everyone else at the club. Was Clough hoping to be paid for doing nothing? He points out the gap between seasons being too small. He obviously should have been a teacher in the Irish school system, where kids and staff get three months of holidays in the summer.

No doubt he worked hard, perhaps harder than Motty. But I'll take 'dogmatic, overbearing, boring... lecturing' Motson any day of the week, thanks.

Good look to you then.

I won't miss 'Motty' stumbling for the name of the Villa players as they rip apart his beloved Spurs, or his arselicking knowledge of all the big name players within a 20 mile radius of Shepards Bush.

Give me a man who achieved the unthinkable, with two no-mark clubs, and took tremendous delight in sticking it up the concieted, cynical, self important mobs of Leeds, Man Yoo, and Liverpool.

And commentated on our most glorius night in Rotterdam as though he was one of us. Respect.

And just to add, if we're going to throw a drink problem and self centredness at him then the same applies to God.

You're begrudging the man for supporting a team? I wonder how impartial you'd be if you were a professional commentator and you were covering Villa. Probably less so than Motson.

And on the subject of McGrath, I never mentioned him, but am in full agreement with you. It's madness to have people worshipping him. A wonderful player, but that's about it. A sad sad man who by no means should be idolized and should, in fact, just be left alone.

A sad, sad man? Thats pretty insulting.

For what it's worth, Pauls adored by millions because despite human frailties, possibly brought about by a tougher than average start in life, he played the game absolutely beautifully.

He also tried to commit suicide with his infant son in the room with him.

He is a sad, sad man whose addiction has destroyed lives. He has a lot to answer for and should not be worshipped by anyone.

One of most appealing qualities about Paul was that he looked as uncomfortable with the 'worship' as anyone.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »
ATAL, aren't you a recovering alcoholic yourself?  I thought you'd have a bit more understanding of McGrath's problems.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »
John Moston?

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »
Quote from: Lucky Eddie
Quote from: AsTallAsLions
Quote from: "LeeB"
[/quote

For what it's worth, Pauls adored by millions because despite human frailties, possibly brought about by a tougher than average start in life, he played the game absolutely beautifully.

Beautifully put.

As for the interview itself, it's always interesting to see Cloughy, but I don't think these are among his finest moments. Motty fought his corner well and wasn't awed by Clough, who was more overbearing than truly witty in this discussion. And as for lecturing - pot, kettle, black etc etc.. I've got a lot of time for Motson and always have done. He loves the game and is spectacularly well informed about it. His views on Five Live's Monday night club are always worth hearing, though I admit he can get carried away with stats in his commentaries now and then.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Quote from: "Legion"
John Moston?

I missed that!

Apparently if you see the context of the word and the length, first and last letters are right then you will generally miss the mistake.

Or something.

Offline peter w

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2010, 12:54:26 AM »
Quote from: "VillaSubmariner"
He started off by going on about there being too much football on TV, and at the end was having a go for not showing enough of it.

Two different points though. He was arguing that too much football on tv was affecting gates. His second point was about MOTD not showing enough of the football and concentrating on the comments from the likes of Jimmy Hill, motson et al.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal