collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ideas for rule changes  (Read 9169 times)

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
Ideas for rule changes
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »
Quote from: "ColombianVillain"
Quote from: "Holtemeister"
If a player is injured following a foul against him by an opposition player needing player to leave the field of play for treatment, then the player committing the foul should also be required to leave the field of play until the injured player returns.    

If the injured player, who had been fouled against, receives treatment from the physio but is able to continue without leaving the field of play then he should be allowed to continue the game without doing so from the touchline.

It is an anomoly that a fouled against team can be at a numerical disadvantage following a foul against them and has needed ammending for a number of years .....

This would be the most abused rule in the history of any game. Think about it, players could go down easily when an important player on the other team makes the slightest contact. Players would then fake injuries even more and take longer to come back into the game so the other player can't  come in. Terrible idea

Yes I agree if Dagenham County Reserves were playing Barcelona then the Clumsy DCRFC Centre Half may well take the hit to get Lionel Messi off the pitch for a while.

Offline davevillan

Ideas for rule changes
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »
Quote from: "E I Adio"
Quote from: "davevillan"
All of these suggestions seem eminently sensible, which will probably be the reason they will never be adopted by FIFA.

FIFA dont change the Laws, all changes are done by the International board, 4 are from the Uk nations, and 4 from other nations.
To be fair, when they do make the changes, they always explain why, and they generally tend to be for the better.

Thanks for the correction Dave, I have to say I didn't know that. However, although I wouldn't necessarily disagree that all the changes to the laws are generally for the better, my point really was that the lawmakers are slothful in the extreme. For instance, I haven't heard a single credible argument against introducing video evidence, at the very least for goal line decisions, when the technology has been widely available and used in other sports for years. I happened to think that pretty much all of the suggestions in cdvillafan's original post had some merit and were worthy of consideration, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Id have no problem with goal-line technology, if it was only used for goal-line decisions, but tbh, there are very few decisions in a season when it would be used.
The media go on about it, but for the whole ball to be behind the line, the base of the ball needs to be a fair way behind the line. On most occasions they claim it is, most of the ball is, but not the whole ball.
I would be against using technology for decisions as those have to be with the discretion of the ref, and id hate to see a situation develope when the game becomes stop/start while a decision is debated by a tv monitor.
i know they use it in super league, but i believe thats only in games shown live on sky, i dont believe that is a fair system.

Offline davevillan

Ideas for rule changes
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 10:25:28 PM »
Quote from: "ColombianVillain"
Quote from: "Holtemeister"
If a player is injured following a foul against him by an opposition player needing player to leave the field of play for treatment, then the player committing the foul should also be required to leave the field of play until the injured player returns.    

If the injured player, who had been fouled against, receives treatment from the physio but is able to continue without leaving the field of play then he should be allowed to continue the game without doing so from the touchline.

It is an anomoly that a fouled against team can be at a numerical disadvantage following a foul against them and has needed ammending for a number of years .....

This would be the most abused rule in the history of any game. Think about it, players could go down easily when an important player on the other team makes the slightest contact. Players would then fake injuries even more and take longer to come back into the game so the other player can't  come in. Terrible idea

If im right, this law about players going off for treatment was brought in because players were abusing the system to break up the flow of the game. Hence the change came in, so that a player who needs treatment now goes off for it.
Unfortunately, whatever law changes are made, coaches/players will always try to circumvent it to their advantage.
My idea would be for all players to abide by the laws of the game, respect the refs decisions, then we would have less problems.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
Ideas for rule changes
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 11:21:02 PM »
All of these suggestions seem eminently sensible, which will probably be the reason they will never be adopted by FIFA.

FIFA dont change the Laws, all changes are done by the International board, 4 are from the Uk nations, and 4 from other nations.
To be fair, when they do make the changes, they always explain why, and they generally tend to be for the better.

Thanks for the correction Dave, I have to say I didn't know that. However, although I wouldn't necessarily disagree that all the changes to the laws are generally for the better, my point really was that the lawmakers are slothful in the extreme. For instance, I haven't heard a single credible argument against introducing video evidence, at the very least for goal line decisions, when the technology has been widely available and used in other sports for years. I happened to think that pretty much all of the suggestions in cdvillafan's original post had some merit and were worthy of consideration, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Id have no problem with goal-line technology, if it was only used for goal-line decisions, but tbh, there are very few decisions in a season when it would be used.
The media go on about it, but for the whole ball to be behind the line, the base of the ball needs to be a fair way behind the line. On most occasions they claim it is, most of the ball is, but not the whole ball.
I would be against using technology for decisions as those have to be with the discretion of the ref, and id hate to see a situation develope when the game becomes stop/start while a decision is debated by a tv monitor.
i know they use it in super league, but i believe thats only in games shown live on sky, i dont believe that is a fair system.

Sorry, but I can't agree with your arguments against using goal line technology, but you raise an interesting point concerning the criteria for a ball to be out of play, or indeed to count as a goal by virtue of the whole of the ball having to cross the line.

I am certain that referees do not interpret this rule correctly anyway. I believe that most referees and assistants will call a ball to be out of play, or a goal awarded if the centreline of the ball is just a few centimetres over the centreline of the line. Given that a size 5 ball can be up to 70 centimetres in circumference, the centreline of the ball must be at least 27.5 centimetres beyond the centreline of the line (that's almost a foot in old money) and I don't believe that this is hardly ever the case in disputed calls.

Another archaic rule that needs to be changed to fall in with actual practice.

Offline davevillan

Ideas for rule changes
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 08:12:04 AM »

Sorry, but I can't agree with your arguments against using goal line technology, but you raise an interesting point concerning the criteria for a ball to be out of play, or indeed to count as a goal by virtue of the whole of the ball having to cross the line.

I am certain that referees do not interpret this rule correctly anyway. I believe that most referees and assistants will call a ball to be out of play, or a goal awarded if the centreline of the ball is just a few centimetres over the centreline of the line. Given that a size 5 ball can be up to 70 centimetres in circumference, the centreline of the ball must be at least 27.5 centimetres beyond the centreline of the line (that's almost a foot in old money) and I don't believe that this is hardly ever the case in disputed calls.

Another archaic rule that needs to be changed to fall in with actual practice.

Sorry, my wording may have confused you. What i meant was im in favour of goal-line technology for determining ball in/out of play, however for general fouls/misconduct then i believe that should be at the discretion of the ref.
I would disagree with you on your belief on how refs and a/r call ball out of play.
I spent 11 yrs officiating at non-league level, and whatever game i was on, we always wanted to get the big/key match changing descions correct.
when you are making a series of split second judgement calls, you are always going to get 1 or 2 wrong (some might say more).
It was always amusing doing a game, and part of the ball was over the line, and one team would swear blind that the ball was out of play!!!

Offline dcdavecollett

Ideas for rule changes
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »
I would make the following radical changes to the current rules:

1. If a defender fouls an attacker in the penalty area and is clearly the last defender by a country mile;
2. If a defender blatantly fouls a striker well inside the penalty area;

Then a referee shall 1. send off the offending defender and 2. award a penalty-kick even in cases where the defending team are currently in the Premiership Big Four.

A major change, I know...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal