collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: (not Doug) Ellis buying Rangers - 0% Villa  (Read 4327 times)

Offline The Walshmeister

(not Doug) Ellis buying Rangers - 0% Villa
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8731834.stm

The Andrew Ellis-led consortium is in "advanced negotiations" with Rangers to buy a controlling interest in the club.

Ellis and his company, RFC Holdings, informed the Stock Exchange on Wednesday that talks were at an advanced stage.

The consortium first registered its interest in the club in March.

Speaking last month, former Northampton Town owner Ellis apologised to the club's supporters over the length of time it was taking to strike a deal.

Ellis's consortium is considering a reported £33m bid for the Scottish champions, who are about £30m in debt and who have admitted that they are being investigated by HM Revenue and Customs, with reports claiming the club faces a £24m tax bill.

Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston has previously criticised Ellis for the delay in preparing his proposal.

And on Wednesday, a statement on the Stock Exchange read: "The company confirms that it is in advanced negotiations with Sir David Murray to acquire a controlling interest in Rangers Football Club Plc.

"However, no price has been agreed and no timing has been established for the conclusion of the talks.

"If a deal is concluded between Sir David Murray and RFC, the company would be required under Rule 9 of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers immediately to make an offer for the remaining issued share capital of Rangers.

"It is emphasised that this announcement does not amount to a firm intention to make an offer and there is no certainty that any offer will be forthcoming or as to the terms of such an offer."

Sir David Murray, who relinquished his chairmanship and place on the board in August, controls about 90% of the shares in the Scottish Premier League champions.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »
This has been going on for months and months.

Rangers are my second club and every time I hear the bloke's surname I shudder.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »
Why not buy a non-bigoted club, like Clyde?

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:23:55 AM »
Quote from: "TheSandman"
This has been going on for months and months.

Rangers are my second club and every time I hear the bloke's surname I shudder.

Ditto

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:54:29 PM »
Rangers are my second club too and I must say I'm a bit sceptical about him. I can't really explain why, perhaps it's just that his name is Ellis. He also looks a bit strange.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »
I've never understood the concept of a "Second Club".

Unless it's Villa reserves

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 02:27:56 PM »
Erdington AFC are my second club. Everyone but them and Villa can bollocks as far as I'm concerned.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »
Why would anyone want to buy a club in Scotland?

Offline TheSandman

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
I think the answer lies to what one might describe Mr Ellis as. He's a property developer and he may have his eye on some of the land owned by the club.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »
I think the answer lies to what one might describe Mr Ellis as. He's a property developer and he may have his eye on some of the land owned by the club.

So why not just buy thr land off them?  If they're cash strapped then surely they'd bite his hand off?

Offline TheSandman

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »
Quote from: "John M"

So why not just buy thr land off them?  If they're cash strapped then surely they'd bite his hand off?

That would be the case for the land around Ibrox held by the club and Murray Holdings. However, being fond of conspiracies there seems to be little mention of the training ground in any plans. I think and this is conjecture here that some of the land there might be built on and the club won't sell that as easily as they would the land around the ground.

Plus, what with his failed attempt to run Northampton Town a while back I reckon Ellis fancies another crack at running a football club.

Offline chrissie1964

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 03:08:14 PM »
If this geezer wants to buy crap club that plays in royal blue and has horrible fans , why don't he pop down small heath , and offer the hong kong foolies a few quid ! Bollocks to the ORIGINAL bluenose mutts.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal