collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby  (Read 24772 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Gabby
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 08:33:32 PM »
Quote from: "john e"
two or three seasons ago i went to Stamford bridge with a couple of Chelsea supporters, they were telling me how much they feared Gabby and what he could do to them, it was just what they had picked up from the TV etc

Maybe it was the fact that in spite of them having the strongest defence in the league player barely out of his teens kept scoring goals againt them?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Gabby
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »
Quote from: "Dave"
two or three seasons ago i went to Stamford bridge with a couple of Chelsea supporters, they were telling me how much they feared Gabby and what he could do to them, it was just what they had picked up from the TV etc

Maybe it was the fact that in spite of them having the strongest defence in the league player barely out of his teens kept scoring goals againt them?

pity he didnt keep it up at Wembley

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Gabby
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »

I agree completely.

But it doesn't change what I said in my previous post one jot.

Offline barrysleftfoot

Gabby
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »
Gabby was the 1st player outside of the top 4 to score at all the top 4 grounds.Hes not like Defoe whos shit against better players, he does it against the best, thats why he is probably our key player.

He tore apart Ashley Cole and John Terry at VP this season, and with a better player alongside him will get even better.

I think you are being a bit harsh on him john.

Offline peter w

Gabby
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »
Quote from: "barrysleftfoot"
Gabby was the 1st player outside of the top 4 to score at all the top 4 grounds.Hes not like Defoe whos shit against better players, he does it against the best, thats why he is probably our key player.

He tore apart Ashley Cole and John Terry at VP this season, and with a better player alongside him will get even better.

I think you are being a bit harsh on him john.

But then he skips past a player and invariably does the wrong thing. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but think its time to show he can become a better player for us.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Gabby
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 08:49:53 PM »

I agree completely.

But it doesn't change what I said in my previous post one jot.

but were are talking about Gabby, and he will always split oppinions,

i love it when he scores, coarse i do, but i love it when Heskey scores, but it doesnt change my view on him.
i was behind the goal on two occasions when Gabby scored the winner at Blues, and on two occasions got chased down the street, but it was worth it

i come on here and post honestly, i watch Gabby season in season out and think , no he's just not all that,
 i know you dont agree cus weve been down this road before you and i,

but i honestly dont rate him any where near as high as others on here including your good self.

theres no point me saying otherwise,
i wish he would change my oppinion of him, but so far he marginally improved last season, but has a long way to go to be the top class striker tht people think he is, in my oppinion anyroad

Offline barrysleftfoot

Gabby
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »
Hes never going to be a good footballer though peter, but he will score goals, and more importantly, and you have to give MON praise for this, he does work at his faults and tries to get better.

I think he plays better when he does'nt have to think, when he is just given easy directives, hence he plays better for me when up front on his own.

Offline steveo

Gabby
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 11:29:45 PM »
Ive seen gabby since he came on the scene and yes he's got better, but unfortunaly i think he's more of a sprinter than a footballer, he makes the wrong decisiion more often than not, i do however agree that in todays game you can get away with a player like gabby but you need a 20 goaler up with him. over to you mon!

Offline Mazrim

Gabby
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 11:56:08 PM »
Plenty of room for improvement, which is a good thing as he's already a hell of a player. Some of the stick he gets makes me laugh or simply annoys me depending on the day.

One of our best or most effective players and will remain so for some time.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Gabby
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 02:22:18 AM »
He lacks touch and movement to be a top striker, he is better playing as a lone striker, he looked a better player with Moore than he does with Heskey or Carew, MON likes the big man and nother, it dosent suit his game, its a shame that we hve not seen him with the Fonz because i think that they could form a decent partnership

Offline VillaZogmariner

Gabby
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 03:37:23 AM »
I think Gabby could play the role that BJC/Mr. Em plays for us at the moment. He's clearly worked on his upper body strength, and holds the ball up well in my opinion. Put him alongside Keane/Fonz and I think we'd have a fantastic front 2.

Although, I still think we'd play better with a front 4.

---Young---Milner---Downing---
-------------Gabby---------------

Give all 4 players the freedom of the pitch and I think we'd score more goals as opposition defenders wouldn't know who is going to play where.  Playing that way may not increase the amount of goals Gabby scores himself, but I think it would improve the amount scored by Young/Milner/Downing.

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
Gabby
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 06:02:07 AM »
I like Gabby and I think he is one of our iconic players. When people talk of Villa he's one of the players they associate with us and he represents our style of play, certainly away from home at least.

He is good enough to play for England and for a top 6 side as he has done that for all his career.If he played within the M25 he would probably have at least made the 30 man England squad. Ok he could score more scrappy goals but he isn't that kind of striker. He's no Michael Owen but if Citeh or Spuds started a bidding war for him we'd get Milner type cash for him.

He's also my seven year olds favourite player, he has a good chant and he scores against the noses. Let him be

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Gabby
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 07:49:44 AM »
Lest we forget.

&hl=en_GB&fs=1&">
&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Offline Simon Ward

Gabby
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 09:59:17 AM »
Best striker we have at the club at the moment

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Gabby
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 10:17:35 AM »
Quote from: "not3bad"
He went one on one on a number of occasions last season.  If he had converted them he'd have scored 15 - 20 goals.  Not sure if you can teach that kind of finishing though.

I thought this when I saw Robbie Keane score a one on one for Celtic towards the end of the season. As soon as he was through on the goalie, you knew he'd score. I wouldn't be very confident at all with Gabby. And then I thought, actually, I don't think there's anyone in the team that I'd feel confident about scoring from a one on one situation.

Not that I'm particuarly bothered about trying to sign Keane, it's the point that you knew he'd score. The same could be said with Rooney, Defoe, Drogbad, Anelka, Torress etc (the scoring bit - obviously I'd be bothered about them coming to Villa!!!).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal