collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby  (Read 24805 times)

Offline peter w

Gabby
« on: June 09, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »
Its getting closer to a decision time about Gabby. He's going to have to start scoring more goals if he is to be our front-line striker for the foreseeable future. Its not that I'm just hoping he's going to become a 20 a season man but the amount of chances he gets created by his pace should see a better return in goals scored.

Its become virtually impossible to drop him because of the pace that he possesses and as good a weapon as that is it it could become a hindrance to the development of the team.

We're lop-sided in midfield because of an undroppable Petrov and the insistence on playing Ash and Downing together (although that could bear fruit in the long-term) and we have become the same up front.

At the moment if we need to hase a goal, or just need one in general, it won't be Gabby that is taken off. So, that lessens the possibility of Delfouneso coming on. And that was borne out last season.

I think we looka  mess up front. when on form Carew is our best option and Gabby does contribute but neither contribute enough. If truth be told I'd probably look for 3 new forwards and sell Heskey, possibly Carew and loan out Delfouneso.

I'd be tempted to give Gabby one more season to see if he an develop other aspects to his game - become the the big man in a Carew mode - otherwise he needs to be moved down the pecking order. but, he is as much what is bad about Aston Villa as to what is good about us.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Gabby
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:17:26 PM »
The time to judge Gabby will be the end of next season. Until now he's improved year on year.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Gabby
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:33:26 PM »
Quote from: "Mark Kelly"
The time to judge Gabby will be the end of next season. Until now he's improved year on year.

I said kinda the same thing to my mate today he has improved year by year but im not really convinced he can get much better than he is now. I am certain he wont get more than 10-15 league goals next season and here is the problem

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Gabby
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »
He went one on one on a number of occasions last season.  If he had converted them he'd have scored 15 - 20 goals.  Not sure if you can teach that kind of finishing though.

Offline peter w

Gabby
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Quote from: "not3bad"
He went one on one on a number of occasions last season.  If he had converted them he'd have scored 15 - 20 goals.  Not sure if you can teach that kind of finishing though.

When he first started playing regularly through the middle I thought this was one of his better attributes, now its one of his worst.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Gabby
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »
You can thank our coaches for that.

Offline boboonthecorner

Gabby
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »
I feel a little sorry for Gabby, he's played a lot of games bearing in mind he didn't start until 2006. He impresses me a lot when he plays on his own, something I never thought he'd be capable of.

I know it's become a bit of a cliche but I honestly think this is his make or break season. I think if things don't quite work out for him this year I can see him moving on to kick start his career.

Offline boboonthecorner

Gabby
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »

Both him and Young stood still last year. Arguably Young might have regressed.

Offline not3bad

Gabby
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »
Quote from: "boboonthecorner"

Didn't Gabby pick up a few votes as most improved player in the H & V end of season awards?

Offline barrysleftfoot

Gabby
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 07:00:38 PM »
Not sure he's under any pressure at all tbh.

Gets goals, has pace, better at holding the ball up, more importantly seems to want to improve on aspects of his game.He is never going to be a Van Persie kind of player, but that does'nt matter, we need to get a better complementary player next to him.

We only need to consider Gabbys exit, if and when Delf develops into the player i think he will, even then i think the 2 could play together.

Gabby is the last Villa player i would sell, i think if he went to Ure or Arse he would get absolutely loads of goals.

Offline hartman_1982

Gabby
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »

Rubbish! Gabby has improved year on year. He is developing all aspects of his game and has added strings to his bow that i never thought he would be capable of.

Gabby is never going to be that instinct striker, I honestly think that is something you have or you don't, but what he is becoming is an all round front man. He puts in a shift and holds it up brilliantly, which is why i really don't see the point of him being played with a "big man" anymore.

Gabby and a poacher would be a nightmare for any defence

Offline not3bad

Gabby
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »
Quote from: "barrysleftfoot"
We only need to consider Gabbys exit, if and when Delf develops into the player i think he will, even then i think the 2 could play together.

They certainly can't make a worse pair than Carew and Heskey.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Gabby
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 07:04:17 PM »
Gabby is getting better, I just wish he'd have a better brain for movement. For a quick bloke there's very rarely any one on ones with the keeper. Maybe that's down to the midfield?

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Gabby
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 07:05:52 PM »
Quote from: "hartman_1982"

Rubbish! Gabby has improved year on year. He is developing all aspects of his game and has added strings to his bow that i never thought he would be capable of.

Gabby is never going to be that instinct striker, I honestly think that is something you have or you don't, but what he is becoming is an all round front man. He puts in a shift and holds it up brilliantly, which is why i really don't see the point of him being played with a "big man" anymore.

Gabby and a poacher would be a nightmare for any defence

I agree,if we had another striker who could get 15-20 league goals with Gabs 12-15 we'd be in a good position. He's got better every year,and the odd time he doesnt play we really miss him as we have no one who can streach play like he does with his pace.He's homegrown local lad,theres not many British strikers who have got double figures over the last 3 or 4 years.

Offline mcgrath_85

Gabby
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »
I noticed last season that he doesn't seem to chase everything like he once did. I would even say that he'd become lazy in some games.
I don't know if he did really improve last year, if so, then very little. Inthink that he has perhaps become a tad complacent, this is isndue to him being undroppable to MON. The same can be said about some of MON's other favourites. If a player isn't playing well, them drop them for a game or two. This should then give them the kick up the arse to really try and get back in the team. It's really not complex, but there is no changing MON.
I honestly the think our manager and coaches are holding back certain players and I've been saying this for a while.
I'm sure John m will pop up and bring up Milner as an example of this not being the case, which is true. But maybe if he didn't play every game, we would see even better performances from him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal