collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Panarama last Night, Premier League Debt, especially Man Utd  (Read 17102 times)

Offline peter w

Panarama last Night, Premier League Debt, especially Man Utd
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
Quote from: "Chico Hamilton III"
Quote from: "Chris Smith"
Let them rot, it's payback for the times they taunted us with "there's only one Dougie Ellis".

yep

I'm reminded of the phrase "be nice to people on your way up because you might meet them on your way down"

or something like that

I feel thatw ay about Chelsea fans and I'm sure those of you in the london area will no doubt know chelsea fans who are completely oblivious to the club they were to the fact that it is largely money that has got them where they are now. Even those who supported them before Roman.

Now that lot I'd laugh at doing a Leeds.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »
Quote from: "Chico Hamilton III"
Quote from: "Chris Smith"
Let them rot, it's payback for the times they taunted us with "there's only one Dougie Ellis".

yep

I'm reminded of the phrase "be nice to people on your way up because you might meet them on your way down"

or something like that

Good point.  

ManU sold their soul long ago in the search for untold success.  The Devil is just calling in his debt.

Offline Norm Crandles

• GM : 06.06.2015
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 04:47:19 PM »
yep

or something like that[/quote]

Or in Manchester United`s case ( a provincial mediocrity for most of its existence) 'The farther up a tree the monkey climbs, the more you can see of its arse'

Norm.

Offline cdward

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 05:01:11 PM »
Quote from: dave.woodhall
Quote from: "cdward"
Quote from: "montague"
Quote from: "john e"

What great deeds did HDE do for Aston Villa? .

Read your Villa history c 1968 to 1970 then you can probably answer that question.

he also hired Ron Saunders.

I have lived my Villa history i don't need to read about it.
But i will answer my question then, Deadly did no great deeds for Aston Villa, but did everything for himself.

You could say that about every club chairman and owner.

I disagree,  i wouldn't say it about Randy, he has done many things for the good of the club, (and i wouldn't say it about William McGregor either).

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 05:21:28 PM »
Quote from: cdward
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
Quote from: "montague"

What great deeds did HDE do for Aston Villa? .

Read your Villa history c 1968 to 1970 then you can probably answer that question.

he also hired Ron Saunders.

I have lived my Villa history i don't need to read about it.
But i will answer my question then, Deadly did no great deeds for Aston Villa, but did everything for himself.

You could say that about every club chairman and owner.

I disagree,  i wouldn't say it about Randy, he has done many things for the good of the club, (and i wouldn't say it about William McGregor either).

McGregor was neither a chairman nor owner. In fact, it has been said that his contribution to Villa wasn't as great as is generally reckoned, but that's a side issue. It can also be said that what Randy is doing is ultimately for his own good, and that Doug's earlier contributions were even greater.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »
if Doug wasnt interested in football, or Aston Villa, now he has cashed in,

why does he still attend most games, even in ill health ?

Deadly used to be on the Board of directors at Wolves and the Blose, before he landed at Villa. That doesn't strike me as someone particularly interested in Aston Villa. OK i admit he has probably nurtured an interest in football over the years, but only in the same way that we all have about the job we do.

He only attends most games because he gets in for free, and he loves looking at his own name in big letters.

What great deeds did HDE do for Aston Villa? About the same as the Glazers have done.

What he said. I can't be sure but always felt that Herbert sold to Randy because he was going to get cash with no strings-unlike most of the tricky dicky offers around from the rest.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
I've just watched this. Bloody hell. The Glazer's really are in the shit, fantastic. How is it allowed that they can get away with this? Actually I don't care but tossers like these should stay well away from football.

Offline bill

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
Quote from: "Hookeysmith"
if Doug wasnt interested in football, or Aston Villa, now he has cashed in,

why does he still attend most games, even in ill health ?

Deadly used to be on the Board of directors at Wolves and the Blose, before he landed at Villa. That doesn't strike me as someone particularly interested in Aston Villa. OK i admit he has probably nurtured an interest in football over the years, but only in the same way that we all have about the job we do.

He only attends most games because he gets in for free, and he loves looking at his own name in big letters.

What great deeds did HDE do for Aston Villa? About the same as the Glazers have done.

I could name a few but i think the greatest legacy of old Dougie was that he could have sold for more money to the likes of Gillete / Hicks and the Glaziers - but he sold to someone who he thought was honest and had integrity

And for that i will be forever grateful

Actually he sold to Lerner for a nominally smaller fee because he managed to wangle a life Presidency and free office for himself at VP. His greatest legacy will be the years we spent in the wilderness, and the missed chance in 1982 to dominate the game.And for that I will forever be disappointed.

Offline Woody

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
Watched the programme today.  Big thing that concerned me was the level of cash (via profit and loss and the recent bond issue) that the Glazers are pulling out of ManU to service their debt.  

With debt at 1.1bn, and their property assets in neg equity, and the Tampa Bucanners also with debt of 100m (and their form crashed after Glazers bought ManU), the Glazers will keep selling assets and pulling cash out of ManU to survive their debt crisis (including servicing the PIKs that they took out).  You can get the jist from the Financial Analyst / MUST member who did the digging into the US property on his blog

ManU's Supporters Trust was shown imo in a good light as well as Dave Boyle from Supporters Direct (the Trust movement's governing body). As Dave W has mentioned to me many a time, Man U fans are more politically motivated.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
Quote from: "bill"
...His greatest legacy will be the years we spent in the wilderness, and the missed chance in 1982 to dominate the game.And for that I will forever be disappointed.

I started nodding in agreement with this. Then I thought about it a bit more.
Should any one team dominate the game? I don't think so. We've seen Man Utd do it for years and, as result, football is far worse off for it. Sure I'd like the Villa to more a lot more successful but I think I'd rather enter every season thinking that there are maybe ten teams that could win rather than it being one of two.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 12:05:48 AM »

It can also be said that what Randy is doing is ultimately for his own good, and that Doug's earlier contributions were even greater.

Are there any owners/chairmen/major shareholders that do it for the good of others.

What earlier contributions by Doug, getting other people to put their money into the club.  He took on the club in our hour of need but who is to say somebody else wouldn't have come along.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
Quote from: "old man villa fan"

Are there any owners/chairmen/major shareholders that do it for the good of others.

What earlier contributions by Doug, getting other people to put their money into the club.  He took on the club in our hour of need but who is to say somebody else wouldn't have come along.

None at all, or at least very few.

Downcry Doug mk I all you like, but remember what Villa were like before he took over, and what they were like afterwards. Whether anyone else would have come along is immaterial - the Pat Matthews-financed, Doug Ellis-headed consortium of 1968 set in motion the club we support now.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 12:23:26 AM »

None at all, or at least very few.

Downcry Doug mk I all you like, but remember what Villa were like before he took over, and what they were like afterwards. Whether anyone else would have come along is immaterial - the Pat Matthews-financed, Doug Ellis-headed consortium of 1968 set in motion the club we support now.

I am not putting him down.  As you say, he headed a consortium that started us on our way back.  What I will say though, is that it wasn't just Doug Ellis, as he made it out to be in later years.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 12:46:04 AM »
I am not putting him down.  As you say, he headed a consortium that started us on our way back.  What I will say though, is that it wasn't just Doug Ellis, as he made it out to be in later years.

Doug taking the credit for other people's achievements? Surely not.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 02:17:24 AM »
Ellis was a middle of the road travel agent before he wangled ownership of Villa something he promised never to do. Villa made his millions but so what it's business. We sometimes cloud the issue by wanting to believe that owners put the club before their own interests that will never happen.
It will take a big club to implode before the regulators get serious.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal