collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Panarama last Night, Premier League Debt, especially Man Utd  (Read 17099 times)

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
Panarama last Night, Premier League Debt, especially Man Utd
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
Quote from: cdward
Quote from: "john e"

What great deeds did HDE do for Aston Villa? .

Read your Villa history c 1968 to 1970 then you can probably answer that question.

he also hired Ron Saunders.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 01:18:33 PM »
Quote from: montague
Quote from: "cdward"

Read your Villa history c 1968 to 1970 then you can probably answer that question.

er, i didnt write that quote

Online cdward

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 01:38:13 PM »
Quote from: montague

I have lived my Villa history i don't need to read about it.
But i will answer my question then, Deadly did no great deeds for Aston Villa, but did everything for himself.

Hiring Ron Saunders was no great deed, but Ron Saunders building and managing a team that won trophies and a league title was the great deed.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »
The prgramme was pretty interesting. Whilst making a big deal that some of the Glazers shopping mall business is "on watch" with the banks I think the biggest point was the amount of money the owners are taking out of the club to service the interest payments. Apparently the holding company has PIK notes with interest which may have interest rising to over 16%!

As a club they benefitted from listing on the stock exchange and have been on the CL gravy chain for years. they were taken private in a completely above board transaction as their greedy shareholders were able to cash in. Live by the sword die by the sword.

At the back of my mind is a concern that this can happen to anyone. We ourselves are trading entirely on Randy's goodwill. Anyone who thinks Doug has anything but Villa's best interests at heart just hasn't thought about it carefully enough.

Online cdward

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
Quote from: "John M"
Deadly used to be on the Board of directors at Wolves and the Blose, before he landed at Villa. That doesn't strike me as someone particularly interested in Aston Villa. OK i admit he has probably nurtured an interest in football over the years, but only in the same way that we all have about the job we do.

He only attends most games because he gets in for free, and he loves looking at his own name in big letters.

What great deeds did HDE do for Aston Villa? About the same as the Glazers have done.

You won't catch me saying anything nice about Doug, but do you seriously think that??

OK i was joking about that, it's still true though.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
Didn't Doug turn down a higher bid from Gillette/Hicks than was offered by Randy?

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
Quote from: "Des Little"
Sorry for them lot?  Never!

we are all brothers in arms, and part of the greater footballing family ?

We could use a political model here by helping ease Man Utd's debts by taking money from Conference sides.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »
Quote from: cdward
Quote from: "montague"

I have lived my Villa history i don't need to read about it.
But i will answer my question then, Deadly did no great deeds for Aston Villa, but did everything for himself.

You could say that about every club chairman and owner.

Offline peter w

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
As much as I'm no great lover of Man U they were big before the glazers takeover and had success also. The modern day Man U may be a product of the Sky years but they were always the biggest club in the UK and I think that it is more of a coincodence than a consequence.

But as has been said they are still part of the footballing family and I want to laugh at them on the football field not off it. I won't laugh at all if the biggest club in the Uk, and one of the biggest in the world were to implode.

If anything it would make me worry about Villa more than want to mock Man U.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »
Quote from: "peter w"
As much as I'm no great lover of Man U they were big before the glazers takeover and had success also. The modern day Man U may be a product of the Sky years but they were always the biggest club in the UK and I think that it is more of a coincodence than a consequence.

But as has been said they are still part of the footballing family and I want to laugh at them on the football field not off it. I won't laugh at all if the biggest club in the Uk, and one of the biggest in the world were to implode.

They weren't 'always the biggest club in the UK' it was Munich and George Best that turned them into that.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 02:57:41 PM »
i have no sympathy for manure fans...

having had devon reds attempt to laud it over me because i support my hometown club, who are not as successful as the club they chose to support from the opposite end of the country that they have no affiliation with other than the happy coincidence of them being one of the most successful in the country, i take great pleasure in seeing them squirm over the glazer debt and would love nothing more than seeing them disappear down the divisions like leeds or portsmouth...

we had a shit owner who held us back for years, and allowed others to move away from us, and now its nice to see manure and bin dipper fans suffering the "indignity" of having to deal with real footballing issues...

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »

Very well put and you raise some solid arguments.

But I'd still laugh my tits off.

Offline peter w

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Smith"

They weren't 'always the biggest club in the UK' it was Munich and George Best that turned them into that.

well it depends how far you want to go back - It was us and Sunderland at the turn of the century 18th to 20th century, then Newcastle, Huddersfield, Arsenal, Wolves, Tottenham and so on. But you get my point.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »
Let them rot, it's payback for the times they taunted us with "there's only one Dougie Ellis".

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 03:44:52 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Smith"
Let them rot, it's payback for the times they taunted us with "there's only one Dougie Ellis".

yep

I'm reminded of the phrase "be nice to people on your way up because you might meet them on your way down"

or something like that

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal