collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Help required  (Read 17133 times)

Offline barrysleftfoot

Help required
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »
The only thing that annoys me about these kind of surveys is the implication that the majority of football fans are racist/homophobic/sexist.Why are football fans always targeted, i bet their is more of  a problem with this kind of attitude in Rugby for example.

This survey is well balanced, and gives the opportunity for you to explain your points, but for me football is neither no place for homosexuals, or full of homophobes, and yet according to this survey, it is one or the other.

Apart from Upson, i can't remember the last time i heard a taunt at an opposition player about his sexuality.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Help required
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2010, 10:42:46 PM »
Quote from: "barrysleftfoot"
The only thing that annoys me about these kind of surveys is the implication that the majority of football fans are racist/homophobic/sexist.Why are football fans always targeted, i bet their is more of  a problem with this kind of attitude in Rugby for example.

I don't think there is any implication that the majority of football fans are homophobic, but I can bet you that there are more homophobic chants and less tolerance of gay people in a football crowd than there is in any other crowd watching sport in this country.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Help required
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2010, 10:44:20 PM »

This survey is well balanced, and gives the opportunity for you to explain your points, but for me football is neither no place for homosexuals, or full of homophobes, and yet according to this survey, it is one or the other.

Apart from Upson, i can't remember the last time i heard a taunt at an opposition player about his sexuality.

Or, looked at another way, you haven't heard an opposition player taunted about his sexuality until, errm, the last time an opposition player rumoured to be gay played against us.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Help required
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 10:45:55 PM »
I got as far as the first question.

Do you think gay players should come out? Yes / No

There is no blanket answer to that - surely it is up to the players themselves to make decisions according to whichever way they want to live their lives?

Shouldn't the question be "Do you think gay players should be able to come out, if they so wish?".

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Help required
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:09 PM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"

Or, looked at another way, you haven't heard an opposition player taunted about his sexuality until, errm, the last time an opposition player rumoured to be gay played against us.

And to emphasise that, if any single one of the players who had played against us since then had rumours surrounding his sexuality, do you think Upson is the last one that you would remember? Or do you think that every one of those potential players would be subjected to the same moronic chants?

Offline gerags

Help required
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2010, 12:05:30 AM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"
I got as far as the first question.

Do you think gay players should come out? Yes / No

There is no blanket answer to that - surely it is up to the players themselves to make decisions according to whichever way they want to live their lives?

Shouldn't the question be "Do you think gay players should be able to come out, if they so wish?".

I think it has been worded badly.
I particularly disliked the amount of questions revolving around the lowlife that is Max Clifford.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
Help required
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
I just had this discussion with my female colleagues at work and it sparked a 30 minute debate. We finally came to the conclusion that they dont need a gay player to stand up and be shot down. They need lots of high profile players, gay and straight, to get behind the campaign. Plus, if every team had a gay player (and statistically they probably do) they couldnt all be abused.

Offline DBTW

• http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Help required
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »
Quote from: "LeeS"
I just had this discussion with my female colleagues at work and it sparked a 30 minute debate. We finally came to the conclusion that they dont need a gay player to stand up and be shot down. They need lots of high profile players, gay and straight, to get behind the campaign. Plus, if every team had a gay player (and statistically they probably do) they couldnt all be abused.

Maybe Platini will introduce this in nest seasons Europa League?

Offline peter w

Help required
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
First of all may I add that I do believe that it should be easier for homosexuals to be openly gay at any times during their lives. it is incredible that peopleare still persecuted, however that may take its form, in todays supposedly 'free' world.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Help required
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
I heard some interesting comments on this when Ricky Martin came out. It was a dutch lesbian who was saying that when you 'come out' , it's not really a one-off event, you find that you have 'come out' to everytime you meet someone new and that in itself is a barrier for some people.

It was something I'd never really considered before.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
Help required
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2010, 10:05:43 PM »
The thing with the survey, as you find with most surveys, is that only the intellectual people tend to fill them in.

The people who shout abuse stand out more than the tolerant people, and these are the idiots who probably don't even know how to use a computer to express their views in surveys, thus giving the surveys a false result.

Offline Bungle

• http://www.loftys-stores.co.uk
Help required
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2010, 10:15:22 PM »
Quote from: "villajk"
A persons sexuality has absolutely nothing to do with anybody else.

What does it matter to anybody else.

This is the 21st Century.

I agree with you entirely.

I think the reason that football is backward in this way is that (Fashanu) excepted none of the players have come out as gay.  Let's be realistic here in a league of 92 clubs you are going to have some gay players.

In other parts of public life people have come out as gay without losing their careers (Martina Navratilova was the first I rember, also of course Elton John).

Unfortunately what some folks fail to realise is that gay people are the same as hetrosexuals apart from one thing: their sexual preference.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
Help required
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »
Quote from: "junxs"
The thing with the survey, as you find with most surveys, is that only the intellectual people tend to fill them in.

Just to prove you wrong, I filled one in.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Help required
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
Did they let you use crayons?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
Help required
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »
Just the really chubby ones which are useless for colouring in and writing with but I can't be trusted not to eat the slimmer ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal