collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 5 seasons, nearly, in under RL  (Read 41329 times)

Offline sfx412

5 seasons, nearly, in under RL
« on: May 28, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »
I've become sucked into this Villa have little hope syndrome of late with Barry going despite, and now Milner looking like he'll follow and it won't stop there.

So what can be done about it, is all I ask.

In Randy Lerner we have a wealthy owner who is a top businessman, educated at the right places, a man who must be surrounded by the right sort of people who can solve this problem I'm sure.

The days of 'Ellis think' have passed and while its sound sense to take a realistic view with World finances what they are, my faith lies with Randy Lerner to crack it and push us on

Its the fifth season under his ownership and what a change he's brought. I just can't see him allowing Villa to stand still, I cannot see why he would, so I'm optimistic when it concerns him and Villa at least.

The proof is in the pudding and so far its tasted pretty damn good compared to the days before.

Don't you agree?

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:05:52 PM »
I agree whole heartedly.  There are things that could have gone better, like referee decisions at Wembley this season, but on the whole from the squad we had, to where we are now is very impressive.  This is the first season I have been able to afford ST and travel costs, and I think the money has been well spent, I have loved it.  Thanks RL, see you next season

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
Pedant alert: *Four seasons in, in fact it won't be four years til August.*

Randy's done as much as we could have reasonably expected.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: 5 seasons, nearly, in under RL
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
Quote from: "sfx412"
I've become sucked into this Villa have little hope syndrome of late...

Of late?!

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »

In Randy Lerner we have a wealthy owner who is a top businessman, educated at the right places, a man who must be surrounded by the right sort of people who can solve this problem I'm sure.

His Father was a top businessman , he ( Randy) inherited his wealth.

He must mix in the right circles I agree, but we must not forget that he is no self made man, and in my opinion, there is a difference.

Nothing against nepotism mind you.

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 08:24:48 PM »
I think perhaps sensibly the only way now we could ever expect to win the league again would be through the practise of Black Magic.

I'm not willing yet to sell my soul for such an end but I would certainly consider sponsoring a broomstick or a cat or a toad.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 10:18:14 AM »
Quote from: "TimTheVillain"

His Father was a top businessman , he ( Randy) inherited his wealth.

He must mix in the right circles I agree, but we must not forget that he is no self made man, and in my opinion, there is a difference.

Nothing against nepotism mind you.

I can only go on what the General says on here and what I know from talking to people who worked for him in Chester and he looks to have done more than enough to me to be capable of managing well enough.

in comparison to out previous owners I'd say his level of financial contacts, expertise and general wealth puts him in a far higher league and one where he knows the right people

All he has to do now is sort out something to solve the dilemma teams like Barca, Milan and Man city, Chelsea bring.

I still say we can win top 4 and even with a good manager the title.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »
He's clearly done fantastically well with the Cleveland Browns.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 05:30:31 PM »
&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0">
&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Offline sfx412

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 05:31:45 PM »
Quote from: "Drummond"

so you aren't happy with what he's done for Villa ?

seems to me there are plenty on here for whom Mon can do no wrong yet many have doubts about RL ?

Perhaps I should ask General K to comment on Randy's Browns performance as it seems so important to some

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 05:59:40 PM »

seems to me there are plenty on here for whom Mon can do no wrong yet many have doubts about RL ?

Perhaps I should ask General K to comment on Randy's Browns performance as it seems so important to some

I think the vast majority believe both have done a good job so far and still have more to do.

There's been almost no criticism of Lerner.

Offline Mark H

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
Very happy with RL - I really am hopefull and positive we are moving forward in a sustainable way - we dont have a sugar daddy in the sense of the Chelsea and Man City type but he has put a lot in and will continue to do so in my opinion.  

To be honest much as it sounds appealling I really would not swap him for any owner in the premier league because I still feel connected (in the small way any of us are these days at least) to the team on the pitch and not to a mega rich mans play thing.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »

I really don't know how you can say that. There may be differing opinions about the relative merits of MO'N but I rarely (if ever) see a disparaging remark aimed at RL.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 07:24:56 PM »
Randy is a top owner from the point of view that he respects the traditions and history of the club and is willing to invest in the future of the club both on and off the pitch.  

The Browns reference is valid though because from what I've read his record there of selecting coaches and team managers etc. is less than impressive.  That's in a sport he should know and understand  far better than proper football, having grown up with it.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 07:27:46 PM »

Of course, we've a better profile (though nowhere near big enough still), we have finished 6th three seasons in a row etc.

However, your initial post suggested that because he was successful in business and he'd employ the right people that he'd so the same at Villa.

As someone else pointed out, he inherited his money. His track record with a sports team isn't exactly great though.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer him to Ellis and almost any other owner out there, I was merely showing that your glowing statement was based on the wrong factors. The Browns are not a successful team, the way things are looking, we've got about as far as we can sports-wise too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal