collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marlon in the Champions League  (Read 35546 times)

Offline Herman

Marlon in the Champions League
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Pity he didnt go 18 months ago, rather than be happy to sit on his arse raking in that kind of money. No wonder he didnt complain.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 12:07:31 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Harte"
Quote from: "eamonn"
Wonder if he'll get the same type of welcoming ceremony/burning chicken ritual that poor Darius ''enjoyed''.

Actually, the adventures of Marlon and Vass in Turkey is really something that HBO should be picking up.

I remember when Dalian Atkinson went to Turkey. Apparently, on the way to a game they stopped the team bus on the motorway, all got off, then slaughtered a goat on the hard shoulder. They then dabbed some of the goat's blood onto Atkinson's forehead for luck.

The story goes that Atkinson promtly fainted!

I thought that was Deano?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 12:13:30 PM »
Can't be annoyed at MFH really. Seemed a nice bloke and if some idiot offered you 27k a week to do a job you're not qualified to do, you'd take the money wouldn't you? Good luck to him and well done to his Agent. You sir, are a genius.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
Ok so...

Harewood £27k
Shorey £20k
Young £30k

That's our first quality signing wages paid for... get them in!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »
He's obviously done his research and spotted a gap in the market but i'm not sure they'll go for pasties, pies and sausage rolls over there.

I assume he's going it alone and Greggs aren't opening a branch in Turkey.
Brave move Marlon, he'll back doing the early shift in Doncaster within 6 months I reckon.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »
Quote from: "VillaSubmariner"
I thought that was Deano?

I'm fair certain it was Dalian, but I could be wrong.

Offline Merv

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »
Quote from: "gregnash"
Can't be annoyed at MFH really.

Me neither, Greg. I actually thought he was fairly productive for us when he was given time on the pitch. The team moved on and left him behind but at least he contributed when he was called upon.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
Quote from: "John M"
I've said this before and I'll say it again - he was a decent short term signing.  The problem is that we couldn't shift once his usefulness ran out, which was a year to 18 months after we signed him.  If we had, we'd be looking at a lot less wages and probably the majority of his transfer value back.  He would then be viewed in the same category as Zat Knight, which for me is 'useful stepping stone'.

All-in-all not a success and will always be used to bash MON over the head with.

I'd argue and did argue at the time, (along with many others), that he wasn't even a decent short term signing. I remember a security guard in HMV in Dublin saw me wearing a Villa shirt the day our interest in the Hare first became known and said he too was a Villa fan. He then, rather embarassedly, told me to look at the story he was reading on his Blackberry. We were both in disbelief.

We should have been signing better back-up strikers than Harewood three years ago. He never even made a Premiership start - no wonder Carew was out boning any nice looking young woman he could find rather than worrying about his place in the team.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again - he was a decent short term signing.  The problem is that we couldn't shift once his usefulness ran out, which was a year to 18 months after we signed him.  If we had, we'd be looking at a lot less wages and probably the majority of his transfer value back.  He would then be viewed in the same category as Zat Knight, which for me is 'useful stepping stone'.

All-in-all not a success and will always be used to bash MON over the head with.

I'd argue and did argue at the time, (along with many others), that he wasn't even a decent short term signing. I remember a security guard in HMV in Dublin saw me wearing a Villa shirt the day our interest in the Hare first became known and said he too was a Villa fan. He then, rather embarassedly, told me to look at the story he was reading on his Blackberry. We were both in disbelief.

We should have been signing better back-up strikers than Harewood three years ago. He never even made a Premiership start - no wonder Carew was out boning any nice looking young woman he could find rather than worrying about his place in the team.

I didn't want him either, but I can put that aside and judge him on his contribution, which as an inpact player off the bench was decent enough in 07/08.  It's easy to say we should have been looking for better, but as a team that had just finished 11th who esle could we have got to sit on our bench?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 03:06:18 PM »
Kevin Phillips or Juan Pablo Angel! Seriously, we'd have been better off hanging on to either of those. Angel made a decent contribution in O'Neill's first season.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »
He came to us after scoring 42 goals in the previous 3 seasons for West Ham. He was bought as a backup to Gabby and Carew and managed to score 5 goals in only approx 500 mins on the pitch during the season when he was used, which isn't bad at all.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 03:12:33 PM »
Kevin Phillips or Juan Pablo Angel! Seriously, we'd have been better off hanging on to either of those. Angel made a decent contribution in O'Neill's first season.

I think both players had had their time at Villa and it was right to move them on.  I do agree both are better strikers than Marlon, though!

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »
Quote from: "Villadawg"
He came to us after scoring 42 goals in the previous 3 seasons for West Ham. He was bought as a backup to Gabby and Carew and managed to score 5 goals in only approx 500 mins on the pitch during the season when he was used, which isn't bad at all.

That'll just change the argument from 'Why did he buy him' to 'He should have given him more of a chance'

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »
Quote from: "Villadawg"

That'll just change the argument from 'Why did he buy him' to 'He should have given him more of a chance'

I was hoping to confuse them.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 03:41:01 PM »
I didnt like him, blazing over the bar at point blank range during the FA Cup when Wetspam could have done Liverpool was unforgiveable.  That said, God likes a trier,and I have never before or since see someone celebrate every goal he scores in warm ups with such conviction.  Good luck Marlon (if that is your real name, and not Goomba)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal