collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nigel Kennedy  (Read 32386 times)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Nigel Kennedy
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »
I tried to watch it but to be honest he makes me cringe with his 'trying out some new shit' hippy talk in a strange type of pretend cockernee accent thing, i'm sure he's a great bloke and all that but the first number he did with his band was fucking awful.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
Nigel Kennedy
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2010, 11:15:01 AM »
Apart from the fact that I like Kennedy as a person and a musician and am proud that he's a fellow Villa supporter, I love Poland and greatly enjoyed the scenes in Krakow and the Polish countryside. I was also fascinated by the jazz improvisation. A really excellent programme.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Nigel Kennedy
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
Quote from: "frank"
Apart from the fact that I like Kennedy as a person and a musician and am proud that he's a fellow Villa supporter, I love Poland and greatly enjoyed the scenes in Krakow and the Polish countryside. I was also fascinated by the jazz improvisation. A really excellent programme.

Yes indeed Frank, we thought Krakow looked gorgeous as did the countryside. I could certainly relate to Nigel's desire to get away from it all and his feelings about Tesco's et al!

Offline spartacuss

Nigel Kennedy
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2010, 01:01:43 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Jameson"
I tried to watch it but to be honest he makes me cringe with his 'trying out some new shit' hippy talk in a strange type of pretend cockernee accent thing, i'm sure he's a great bloke and all that but the first number he did with his band was fucking awful.

I thought it flattered Nigel and showed him - and Villa - in a good light.  Unlike some other programmes which have featured him and have been dive-behind-the-sofa, cringeworthy efforts, this time, apart from a few brief comments, he let the shirts and the Villa paraphenalia do the talking (Good to see Acorns getting another media airing!).

In his comments he was understated, incisive and intelligent and thankfully kept the faux hippy-speak to a minimum.   As a musician he's a virtuoso and magnificent in his classical performances, but - ironically because his virtuosity means he can play anything and everything at whatever speed - I don't think he cuts it to the same extent as  jazz player.  Sometimes less is more Nigel!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
Nigel Kennedy
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »
jazz improvisation

Phew, missed that!

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Nigel Kennedy
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Jameson"
jazz improvisation

Phew, missed that!

NICE! Awful isn't it. I hate jazz improvisation (sorry Frank mate!). They're all great musicians I'm sure (which seems to be the whole point of it as far as I can see) but can you hum the tune 20 seconds after you've heard it? Nope. And that's presuming there is a tune in the first place....

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
Nigel Kennedy
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »
Improvisation and fusion are two words that cause me great concern.

As well as the letter U and number 2.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
Nigel Kennedy
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »

Agree with all of that. We saw some fine jazz when we were in Krakow a few years back and I'm pretty sure the main bar they showed was one of the ones we were in. Didn't see Nige himself, though, or - more's the pity - his lovely Polish wife.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal