collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa`s daring to be different mascot  (Read 12938 times)

Offline Ryu

Villa`s daring to be different mascot
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »
I feel I have to point out that a sticking a top hat on a black bloke, writing darkie on his back and calling him your mascot is an exploitative and grossly offensive.  It is not 'un-pc'.  

I understand that society has changed so much that stuff like this seems funny but the term political correctness is a bit of a bugbear of mine as the only people who seem to use it our daily mail types whinging about 'political correctness gone mad'.

Rant over.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
Quote from: "Ryu"
I feel I have to point out that a sticking a top hat on a black bloke, writing darkie on his back and calling him your mascot is an exploitative and grossly offensive.  It is not 'un-pc'.  

I could be wrong here ( I havent got the Inglis book next to me) but wasn't Darkie very much a self-appointed mascot?

It's not like we dragged the nearest black bloke off the street, nailed a top hat to him and made him perform at Villa Park every week.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about whether the correct term should be "un-pc", "non-pc" or "politically incorrect"............

Offline robg54

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »
i assumed he was a white bloke blacked up.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 03:17:18 PM »
I feel I have to point out that a sticking a top hat on a black bloke, writing darkie on his back and calling him your mascot is an exploitative and grossly offensive.  

I think it's pretty patronising to assume that 'Darkie' had no mind of his own.

Offline Ryu

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »
Quote from: "morrissey2020"
I feel I have to point out that a sticking a top hat on a black bloke, writing darkie on his back and calling him your mascot is an exploitative and grossly offensive.  

I think it's pretty patronising to assume that 'Darkie' had no mind of his own.

And I'm sure he had loads of career options...

Offline SarkGrime

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Has anyone got any idea who the 1st & 3rd players are?

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 06:19:28 PM »

I understand that society has changed so much that stuff like this seems funny but the term political correctness is a bit of a bugbear of mine as the only people who seem to use it our daily mail types whinging about 'political correctness gone mad'.

Rant over.

You are absolutely right,I used the stupid term "un-pc" without realising what tosh it must have sounded.Hope you like the new title.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
One or two observations aside of the mascot.
If you look round,theres about 4 or 5 women in total,still a pretty low proportion.I would be looking for my late mom there but i know for a fact,she stood in the witton lane terracing opposite at that time.
The long shorts are obvious,but also look at those big thick knitted woolen socks,must have been great in the rain and mud.
And finally look at that crappy old metal bucket,i bet that was the trainers and the `magic sponge` was in there.Thats all they needed then,there were no substitutes and if you broke your leg and it was falling off,then the trainer might come on with the `magic sponge` and put it back on for you,if you were lucky!and after the game you got five bob for playing and an extra shilling if you won and caught the No.28 bus home with all the fans,still in your dirty long shorts and big woolen socks.and if you didnt bring it back into training on a monday morning clean as a whistle,the manager would beat you up to within an inch of your life.And you tell that to todays modern players,and they just dont believe you!!

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »
Quote from: "SarkGrime"
Has anyone got any idea who the 1st & 3rd players are?

Ive checked playing record and some photos.
1st player:I believe this is Dickie Dorsett.Played September1946-May 1953.He is carrying the ball so is presumably captain.Was Dorsett captain at this time?
2nd player:I think everybody agrees this is Danny Blanchflower.Played March 1951- October 1954.
3rd player:This is the toughest.I believe it is Colin Gibson(no not that colin gibson!)Colin H Gibson.Played February 1949-January 1956. However another possibility is Frank Moss Jnr.Played May 1938-Feb 1955.
Assuming I am correct on Dorsett and Blanchflower,this game is now tied down to a period between March 1951 and May 1953.

PS.Blanchflower looks like the pretty boy,probably best he went off to a bunch of soft southerners like spurs to make his name.I like the look of Dorsett though,definetely the player you want with you and not against you when the real tackles were flying in.My villa history book describes him as"a tenacious tackler from wing-half and left-back".We know what they mean by "tenacious"...get in there!But credit to Gibson/Moss whichever one it is as they run out.They seem to be thinking"the first opponent i see,im going to kick the living shit out of for the villa cause"

Offline OldUser

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Part of that picture is in Blanchflower's book. The part without 'Darkie', that is.

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 10:22:59 AM »
Heres some stuff on Dickie Dorsett.

Dorsett developed a reputation for having a short temper. He was once sent off for punching a defender. He later recalled: "He kicked me in the back as I was shielding the ball... I told him precisely what I thought. He retorted by spitting at me, so I smacked him one."

Dorsett was transferred to Aston Villa for a fee of £3,000 in September 1946. While at Wolves he had scored 32 goals in 46 games. Dorsett scored 13 goals in his first season at his new club. However, the following season he was moved to right-half. In his book, Who's Who of Aston Villa (2004), Tony Matthews argues that "Dorsett was as tough as they come, a player who never shirked a tackle, was totally committed and as rugged and as strong as an elephant!"

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 10:43:41 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aston_Villa_captains

The above link says Dorsett was captain 1949-1951 and that Blachflower was captain 1951-1955 with Johnny Dixon thereafter.Obviously the info is based on Blanchflower being appointed captain for the season but he left in October 1954.
To me its a reasonable assumption that Blanchflower took the captaincy at the start of the 1951-52 season.This now ties the picture down to the end of season 1950-51 with Dorsett still captain.
If this is the case,there are just 4 league games at home in which  dorsett was captain,and blanchflower,moss or gibson all played in.27/3/51 wolves,31/3/51 sheff wed,14/4/51 portsmouth,5/5/51 stoke.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »
I read the above in a Columbo voice!

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »
Quote from: "Dave Cooper"
I read the above in a Columbo voice!

Hahahaha I see where your coming from! Im the villa detective in a dirty raincoat then.thanks you cheered me up ive been a bit down since the whistle blew,

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 11:34:22 PM »
Quote from: "Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aston_Villa_captains

The above link says Dorsett was captain 1949-1951 and that Blachflower was captain 1951-1955 with Johnny Dixon thereafter.Obviously the info is based on Blanchflower being appointed captain for the season but he left in October 1954.
To me its a reasonable assumption that Blanchflower took the captaincy at the start of the 1951-52 season.This now ties the picture down to the end of season 1950-51 with Dorsett still captain.
If this is the case,there are just 4 league games at home in which  dorsett was captain,and blanchflower,moss or gibson all played in.27/3/51 wolves,31/3/51 sheff wed,14/4/51 portsmouth,5/5/51 stoke.

The lack of overcoats in the crowd would indicate that it was either at the start or the end of the season, so these four games are corroborated. The crowd looks a big one, which would discount Stoke (24,033) and probably Sheffield Wednesday (29,321). Wolves took place on Easter Tuesday, with an attendance of 48,057, and Portsmouth 14th April, (39,258). The Bank Holiday mood for Wolves might have been the reason why Darkie made an appearance. All we need to do now is find out what the weather was like in Aston on 27th March and 14th April 1951.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal