Off Topic > Sports Arena

The Running thread

(1/222) > >>

DBTW:
No, it's not a thread that can run, it's for anyone who runs or is interested in running / jogging at any level.

I'll start.....

I've been running now for about 3 years, 2009 being my biggest year to date. Last year I completed two marathons (London and Dublin) and 7 half marathons with a few 10 milers and 10k's in as well.

At present i'm laid up with achilles tendonitis, but I have entered three events this year so far.

1/. Tough Guy - Nettle Warrior - 25/07/10
2/. Bupa Great North Run - 19/09/10
3/. Muller 10k - 09/05/10

I am also planning to enter the Birmingham Black Country Half marathon, as well as 7 or 8 more.

My marathon plans are restricted due to my wife due to give birth 3 days after the cup final (pretty selfish timing on her part) but i'm looking at Pisa or Florence later on in the year.

Anyone else do any running...........

BrummieInKiwiLand:
Good idea for a thread. I'm just getting started with regular running. Unlucky about the tnedonitis. How long will you be out of action?

I'd say I've been "training" properly since the week before christmas now (3-4 runs a week, following a free-be training program I downloaded from the net). I felt like an old man to start with, but within about 2 weeks I really got into it. Makes a massive difference to how much energy I have, and I never fail to feel better after a run. Except...

... I've had a recent set-back, I think I stepped up the distance too quickly (30mins, to 45 mins to 1hr to  1hr 20 in the space of 3 weeks or so. Bad idea), and as a result have had a problem with my achilles (at the top of the tendon, where it joins the calf muscle). Very frustrating as I'm sure you know. Under doctors orders I took a week off completely, felt terrible about it, but have now started back on a "little and often" basis (20 min runs nearly every night - lots of stretching and warming down etc.) I've just gone back up to 30 mins last sunday, but annoyingly the calfs are still a bit sore at the end of each run. Hopefully not going to have a relapse though!

I am going to be doing the sutton park 10km run on 18th april for a practice race the week before  the half.

There is also apparently a half marathon in birmingham city centre this year, which I saw on the internet but the date is not fixed yet? Anyone know anything about that?

EDIT: You're entering 11 events this year?? Thats quite a schedule. You must be quite a serious runner.

Yossarian:
I did my first half marathon last year in one hour forty three which felt good as I beat loads of people who take it all a little too seriously. I think I offended a few egos as I am generally regarded as an overweight, unfit lazy arse. Since then I've pulled out of a couple of races through illness and injury.

My big problem is I get a tightness in my foot that can lead to numbness. I thought it was plantar for a bit but I am certain it's not that as I get it when I am running, not when I wake up. Went for a run earlier and it flaired up again. It really is very frustrating.

I do plan to do the Reading half marathon in a few weeks if I can stay fit.

Yossarian:
double post

DBTW:
Barton, have you been on a gait analysis machine? You could have pronation problems and a new pair of structured or motion control shoes could helop a lot.

BIKL, I had the same problem when I started running, and i went to a sports physio who diagnosed it as adverse biomechanical issues resulting from previous hamstring tears from football. Basically the hammy was too tight, meaning the calf wasnt stretching as it should, putting pressure on the tendon. Stretches and ice were advised, and after a 3-4 week rest and doing what I was told i have never had it since.

I have never had so many injuries that I now get from running. When marathon training I got a bad cast of IT Band syndrome. It then went into the other leg and I ended up haveing accupuncture - which helped along with new motion controlled shoes.

If you fancy joing up for a few races this year let me know, always nice to have a few beers after a run. I'd def recommend the bbchm (www.bbchm.co.uk) as it is on a Saturday and finishes in Brindley Place!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version