collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hodge Folklore  (Read 9403 times)

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
Hodge Folklore
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »
After the goal the Holte End sang "get the w...ker off the pitch"

They didn't

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
Hodge Folklore
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »
Chico was right it was the backpass that started the Hodge-barracking, but before that he made it quite clear in the press that he did'nt want to play for Villa anymore once the Spudz were sniffing around.
What sticks in my mind was after the back-pass, he literally gave up chasing a player back towards the Holte and got dog's abuse from the massed ranks, and in reply he gave a sort of clenched-fist gesture and was booed afterwards everytime he touched the ball.
It sort of speeded up his exit and he remains the only Villa player I'd ever say I hated, every time I see his stupid face I want to punch it.
Yes it still hurts !

Offline Deano's Mullet

Hodge Folklore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
He always tended to score against us didnt he after he left? I remember him scoring for Leeds in Dean Saunder's first match. I am pretty sure he got one in a 2-0 for QPR too just before BFR was axed.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Hodge Folklore
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 01:17:37 PM »
He scored a last minute equaliser for Leeds in Dean saunders first match at Elland Road 92/93.  

He scored a last minute equaliser for Forest at the City Ground in 90/91 as well.

Offline Deano's Mullet

Hodge Folklore
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 01:19:39 PM »
Quote from: "AV82EC"
He scored a last minute equaliser for Leeds in Dean saunders first match at Elland Road 92/93.  

He scored a last minute equaliser for Forest at the City Ground in 90/91 as well.

I swear he got one for QPR in 1994 in a 2-0 defeat at Loftus Road. The game where Bosnich was to blame for both goals - one of them when he came charging out of his goal and was made to look a fool by Dichio. If Hodge didnt score he certainly played a blinder in the match.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Hodge Folklore
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 07:16:48 PM »
The 4-1 defeat to Norwich is one of those sporting fixtures, where if everyone is telling the truth about being there, then it was played out in a rammed Villa Park with the gates shut at 2:30.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe I remember standing on a sparsely populated Holte, with the only saving grace about the afternoon being that I was topping up my tan after my recent Greek holiday.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Hodge Folklore
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 07:44:12 PM »
Quote from: "garyshawsknee"
Quote from: "lovejoy"
Can I have the full story? Hodge also set up the hand of God goal didn't he?

Yes he did,at the time my brother had a go at me cos he played for the villa,and i tried to defend the snake by blaming Shilton and that other fat arsed weasel.

&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0">
&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Offline Lucky Eddie

Hodge Folklore
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »
I may have only been fifteen but I vividly remember phoning Tony Butler or some other sportsphonein to vent my anger at that man hod ge
! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Hodge Folklore
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 11:02:07 AM »
Quote from: "andrew08"
After the goal the Holte End sang "get the w...ker off the pitch"

They didn't

But they did sing ''Hodgey must go, Hodgey must go''

Can still see him plodding back to restart the game while Steve Hunt was giving some half hearted signal to the Holte as if to say 'give the guy a break'.  

Probably one of the most memorable moments have had down at VP.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
Hodge Folklore
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »
Quote from: "Deano's Mullet"
Quote from: "AV82EC"

I swear he got one for QPR in 1994 in a 2-0 defeat at Loftus Road. The game where Bosnich was to blame for both goals - one of them when he came charging out of his goal and was made to look a fool by Dichio. If Hodge didnt score he certainly played a blinder in the match.

I remember that game very well, it was the day me and my QPR supporting and thankfully now ex-wife got hitched, 29 October 94. Having said I remember it well I can't remember who scored the Rs first but I definitely remember the second, Bosnich airkicking a back pass and another ex-Villain Garry Penrice nipping in to score. It was about 10 days before Ron Atkinson was mercifully relieved of his duties, having severly IMV lost his way over the previous close season in refusing to spend any of the money that HDE was offering him, saying that the then current, aging, directionless squad was 'good enough'.

All I remember about Hodgey is being booed and having 'We Hate Hodge' chorused at him by those massed in The School End, every time he touched the ball...

Perhaps we should be grateful to him, in a perverse way. His performance in the 4-1 at home to Norwichhelped bring about the end of Graham Turner (I can't remember if Turner was sacked after that game or the adjacent 6-0 defeat away to Forest), which although it lead onto that brief painful blip that was Billy McNeill and relegation, eventually led to the appointment of the good GT and the late 80s rebuild job that he did.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Hodge Folklore
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:09 AM »
I think he lost his job after the 0-6 defeat at Forest.

Offline peter w

Hodge Folklore
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
Quote from: "Legion"
I think he lost his job after the 0-6 defeat at Forest.

Now there's a game that was memorable. Not just for the shiteness of the performance, the celebrating of a corner as if it was the Cup final winning goal, the sacking of the manager afterwards, but for the great singing from the Villa fans.

For those not there, remember the Semi-Final singing of 'My Old Man' for about 10-15 mins? Imagine that for about an hour and it was 'The bells Are Ringing' interspersed with, 'Cloughie Cloughie give us a wave' (to which he leapt out of the dug out to give us the biggest two armed wave ever! brilliant)

The preamble to the great Everton singalong but better because it was done during the dark shit days.

Offline andyaston

Hodge Folklore
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 07:50:37 PM »
I dont think Steve Hodge played before a crowd of over 35,000 during his time at Villa Park. Sums him and the era up really.

Offline NickF

Hodge Folklore
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »
Quote from: Oscar Arce
Chico was right it was the backpass that started the Hodge-barracking, but before that he made it quite clear in the press that he did'nt want to play for Villa anymore

The barracking definitely started before the backpass. In fact, the backpass seemed a reaction to it which made it even worse. absolutely shocking.

the highlight of the day for me was the run back into town with my mates to see who could get to mcd's first. think i came third out of six. whatever for, i have no idea. ah, the joys of youth.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal