collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Clubs in trouble  (Read 144256 times)

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
Clubs in trouble
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »
Quote from: "pdiddybaby"
Quote from: "maidstonevillain"
Quote from: "Kent Neilsens Screamer"
Quote from: "sendō WHU"
Once again, far far too much money in the game. How long before another club 'does a Leeds?' In fact, I'm amazed that no-one has done it since (I'm not sure that Charlton and Leicester really count).

I suppose a few thought that Newcastle might be the next 'big' team to drop down the leagues but they seem to have steadied the ship.

Actually, Ashley seems to have done a reasonably decent job to sort out the mess, once he stopped pandering to the fans.

actually Ashley had to inject another £40m a few weeks ago to make sure they could keep the team as it was.

I suppose thats the key, he could get some money back buy selling the assets (players) but they then might drop out of the promotion hunt and not get any promotion money, that way he invests more money and the club can be sold for closer to what he paid for it. The thing is at some point you have to draw the line.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Clubs in trouble
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »
Quote from: "aftab235"
Crystal Palace have not paid their players for December.  I heard they are relying on Moses  leaving to help them. Jesus what next?

There's a biblical joke in there somewhere.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
Clubs in trouble
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"
Crystal Palace have not paid their players for December.  I heard they are relying on Moses  leaving to help them. Jesus what next?

Its a pity Ron Noah(des) isn't still the chairman, they could get in the ark and ride out the shit storm thats heading there way.....sorry it's the best i can do.

Offline sendō WHU

Clubs in trouble
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »
Quote from: "sendō WHU"
Once again, far far too much money in the game. How long before another club 'does a Leeds?' In fact, I'm amazed that no-one has done it since (I'm not sure that Charlton and Leicester really count).

actually there is not enough money to satisfy the wage demands, thats the problem. A club like Portsmouth relied on the owner basically paying the wages, once he never they were stuffed as wages have to be paid at the agreed rate.

that is why at Villa we are OK, the wage bill is not that bad, when compared to others but it must be controlled vis a vis the income.

That's kind of the point though isn't it - because there is so much money in the game through TV, Champions League etc smaller clubs like Portsmouth are forced to pay average players high wages in order to compete - wages that are so high that they cannot afford to pay them indefinately. As the turnover of clubs goes up and up, so does the amount paid to players, so that in real terms the clubs are no richer (the players are the best off).

It is of course to surprise to me to see a club that was recently managed by 'onest 'Arry to run into dire financial trouble. I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that he manages to do the same to Spurs.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Clubs in trouble
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:30 PM »
I wonder if when signing a player, does the club say:-

"OK, £10m plus £40k a week over a 4 year contract, means an outlay of £18.32m.  Lets budget for a selling the player after 3 years and getting £5m back, so a net spend of £11.24m, or £3.75m a year.  Will our income through TV rights, gate receipts and prize money increase by that amount and therefore make it a commercially viable deal?"

I very much doubt they do!!

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Clubs in trouble
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »

A parting of the waves possibly?

Offline peter w

Clubs in trouble
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »
Just seen this thread! After I asked a question of the General. Well, I'm going home now so will read the posts when i get in.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Clubs in trouble
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
can a football club with a reasonable fanbase actually go out of existance,
i mean they might drop a few divisions or go bankrupt, but they always start up again somehow.

take Leeds, there still going, as are Wimbledon in some form or other, as are Acrington Stanley.

if say Liverpool, got into massive fianancial trouble and went pop,
 they wouldnt go away forever, there fans would still be there, they would just start up again from a lower position.

i dont see any way that a football club can cease to exist, as long as it has supporters

Offline Concrete John

Clubs in trouble
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »
Quote from: "john e"
can a football club with a reasonable fanbase actually go out of existance,
i mean they might drop a few divisions or go bankrupt, but they always start up again somehow.

take Leeds, there still going, as are Wimbledon in some form or other, as are Acrington Stanley.

if say Liverpool, got into massive fianancial trouble and went pop,
 they wouldnt go away forever, there fans would still be there, they would just start up again from a lower position.

i dont see any way that a football club can cease to exist, as long as it has supporters

Football clubs are businesses and PLCs now.  That's the problem!  So the name (surely trademarked?) and their league entitlement are forfeit if they go to the wall and the fams would have to start again from scratch.

At least I think so anyway!

Offline pdiddybaby

Clubs in trouble
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 03:51:34 PM »
Peter you said in the General's thread

Randy is clealry an altruistic type chap. Would he, and the club, not consider an idea where all 20 Prem clubs put £500,000 of their TV revenue into a kit to help the needier clubs?

why should some clubs who are very well run bail out any club like Pompey, who went well above their means to try and get success. The clubs in trouble are in trouble because generally they have been run very poor

West Ham, Pompey, Notts County, etc.

the only clubs I would have sympathy for are those where the chairman was lying to everyone and in effect being corrupt. Fomr Pompey's situation we all knew what they were doing is financial suicide, the same at Man City, chelsea etc.

Offline Concrete John

Clubs in trouble
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 04:02:58 PM »
Peter you said in the General's thread

Randy is clealry an altruistic type chap. Would he, and the club, not consider an idea where all 20 Prem clubs put £500,000 of their TV revenue into a kit to help the needier clubs?

why should some clubs who are very well run bail out any club like Pompey, who went well above their means to try and get success. The clubs in trouble are in trouble because generally they have been run very poor

West Ham, Pompey, Notts County, etc.

the only clubs I would have sympathy for are those where the chairman was lying to everyone and in effect being corrupt. Fomr Pompey's situation we all knew what they were doing is financial suicide, the same at Man City, chelsea etc.

When I read it I was more thinking of the smaller clubs that just struggle to exist, like Stockport etc.  Should such a fund be created, I'd imagine there would be an application procedure and a trustee to make sure the funds would only go to a) those that need it and b) those that wouldn;t take it and then fuck up again.  Also a rule where you can only apply once in every 10 years to stop it being abused by a handful of clubs to live off of!

Maybe it shouldn't be just a PL thing, but a scheme where every club contributes say 2.5% of their turnover?

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
Clubs in trouble
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »
Quote from: "John M"
I wonder if when signing a player, does the club say:-

"OK, £10m plus £40k a week over a 4 year contract, means an outlay of £18.32m.  Lets budget for a selling the player after 3 years and getting £5m back, so a net spend of £11.24m, or £3.75m a year.  Will our income through TV rights, gate receipts and prize money increase by that amount and therefore make it a commercially viable deal?"

I very much doubt they do!!
that looks exactly like Dougonomics to me.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
Clubs in trouble
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 04:14:28 PM »
Wouldn't it just be quicker and easier to re-incorporate the Premier League back into the Football League and distribute the incomes more fairly again?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Clubs in trouble
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 04:20:58 PM »
Quote from: "Kent Neilsens Screamer"

Its a pity Ron Noah(des) isn't still the chairman, they could get in the ark and ride out the shit storm thats heading there way.....sorry it's the best i can do.

may be when they come to rest on the  mountain they can ask  Mohamed (Sissoko) for a way out of their troubles!

Offline CBAV06

Clubs in trouble
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 06:28:10 PM »

I feel bad for that lot.  Not enough Romans to save them all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal