collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 07:45:15 PM]

Re: Manchester City v Villa pre-match thread by KRS
[Today at 07:41:34 PM]

Re: VAR by Luke8
[Today at 07:41:05 PM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 07:40:34 PM]

Re: Gabby's future by BC Villain
[Today at 07:17:17 PM]

Re: VAR by dave shelley
[Today at 07:13:53 PM]

Re: Manchester City v Villa pre-match thread by Pete3206
[Today at 06:55:17 PM]

Re: VAR by ktvillan
[Today at 06:55:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Non-League Thread  (Read 364473 times)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2020
Re: The Non-League Thread
« Reply #3405 on: March 16, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »
Could you not go League of Ireland games? I'd imagine the top flight is not far of Conference sort of standard, or am I doing the Irish a disservice?

I do go, not as often as I'd like but I do go.  I live half way between Longford Town and Athlone Town, both currently in the second division of two.  Ireland switched to a summer season a few years ago and, for differing reasons it doesn't suit me.

I have taken my daughter's eldest lad a couple of times to Athlone when they have been down, it's good grounding for him and he enjoys it.  The standard in the top league would be decent enough but not as good as the Conference top half.  As far as I know, there aren't any full-time professional teams at the moment, could be wrong there though.

One final thing, I still have my Referee's Inspector's identity card from when I held that position which means I can attend any League of Ireland game without paying for entry.  I choose not to use it, the clubs need the money and 10 in the second division is well worth it.

I wish the Villa would play friendlies over here more often.  The last time they did, they sold out against Shamrock Rovers, we had Benteke then.  I was talking to a Rovers fan after the game and he told me that the receipts from that sell-out game would cover their running costs for the season.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3406 on: March 23, 2019, 08:18:42 PM »
As per usual on international weekend I am tempted to do non-league.  Today  was no exception - Stockport County v Flyde semi second leg of the trophy (first leg 0-0)

Return game today pulled  in a  crowd of just over 6,000 (blues have had less in the top division).

For whatever reason County continue to close the railway end - am never a fan of three sided grounds.  This proved their own downfall as the impetus County gained was gone come half time and County being one up. 

Flyde scored from a penalty to level when earlier in the move leading to the penalty the ref should have blown up for a certain offside.  The penalty turned the game  on it's head scored by former Stockport striker Danny Roue who was by far man of the match.  His antics and that of his team taunting the Cheadle End caused eruptions and a very unsavoury incident with two supporters  running on after Flyde's second  goal and appearing to punch a flyde player at least once.  No police present it was left to the stewards to sort out with the help of several players from both sides. 

Flyde deservedly won in the end in a match which followed the script of so many boxing contests stockport punching themselves well and truly out. 

A good day out and a few bevies afterwards in the Robert Peel in Castle Street.

Offline Rotterdam 82

« Reply #3407 on: March 26, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »
Meanwhile, in Bromsgrove. One for the Puskas award?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47694829

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 26.01.2020
« Reply #3408 on: March 28, 2019, 08:22:31 AM »
Sad to read of the death of Harry Peakman, over 70 years of involvement in the running of Boldmere St Michaels.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3409 on: March 30, 2019, 06:25:16 PM »
Wolstanton Utd 19 Florence 1

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3410 on: April 05, 2019, 07:57:08 PM »
And apparently we're also the 2017 Worcestershire Senior Urn winners as well. Strong rumours Highgate fielded an ineligible player in the final. So if that's case I saw Bromsgrove draw, lose and win at Aggborough!

Amusingly, Highgate have been kicked out of the same cup final for the same reason this season.

Last season for the Worcestershire Senior Urn as it's going to be merged with the Worcestershire Senior Cup. Bit of a shame as some clubs that enter and could win the Urn have zero chance of winning the WSC.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #3411 on: April 27, 2019, 07:03:11 PM »
How do the Tier 7 playoffs work? Seems like there are sixteen teams in the playoffs but only two spots up for grabs?

Do they have to have more playoffs after the divisional playoff finals? Or has Wikipedia got it wrong and there are actually four teams from each of the Conference North and South going down?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:06:15 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:14:55 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #3413 on: April 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »
Bromsgrove are in the play-offs for their level after finishing second, and can be promoted if they win them, some clubs could win them and not promoted though. Saft.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #3414 on: April 27, 2019, 07:21:21 PM »
Many thanks! So basically you have to win three rounds of playoffs. Seems a bit harsh. Would surely be more sensible to have bottom four from National League North and South relegated and have champions and playoff winners from each division promoted?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3415 on: April 27, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »
Mixed day today non league glad orient and Stockport both up - dissapointed with marines relegation

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3416 on: April 27, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »
Stourbridge are successfully avoiding promotion again.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #3417 on: April 27, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »
Many thanks! So basically you have to win three rounds of playoffs. Seems a bit harsh. Would surely be more sensible to have bottom four from National League North and South relegated and have champions and playoff winners from each division promoted?

Not as harsh as the point per game system which means there's teams in the play-offs that have zero chance of promotion.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #3418 on: April 27, 2019, 08:04:10 PM »
Wait, what? Will have to read that again.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #3419 on: April 27, 2019, 08:05:55 PM »
Sounds like the points per game is only used to decide who has home advantage in the final playoff, it doesn't actually prevent anyone from going up?