collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Non-League Thread  (Read 363765 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: The Non-League Thread
« Reply #3420 on: April 27, 2019, 08:37:18 PM »
Unless i'm misunderstanding it (which is always possible!), only 5 of the 7 play-off winners will be promoted, and that's the 5 with the best ppg over the season. So there's some sides that have made the play-offs that can't be promoted. Take the side with the worst ppg that is in the play-offs, they cannot go up even if they win their play-off as all the sides that win the other 6 play-offs are guaranteed to have a better ppg.

Hopefully that numberwang makes sense, it does to me!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:39:56 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #3421 on: April 27, 2019, 09:54:32 PM »
Seven playoff winners? I think you are on about a different tier to me. I'm on about the ones that get promoted to Conference North/South.

Four divisions produce four Champions, who all get promoted automatically. There are four divisional playoff winners. They then playoff to decide the final two teams to go up.

I will have a read about the next tier though, that sounds mental.

A bit like in Serie D in Italy where they have playoffs to see who goes up IF someone else goes bust or who is barred from promotion. If noone is then the playoffs are entirely pointless.

Offline JD

• GM : 11.01.2020
« Reply #3422 on: April 27, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
Sounds very complicated.

I just came on this thread to say congratulations to the mighty O's getting back into the Football league and hopefully it will be the last time I need to talk about them on the non league thread.  :)

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #3423 on: April 27, 2019, 09:57:01 PM »
Yep I'm on about the level Bromsgrove are at.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #3424 on: April 27, 2019, 09:57:35 PM »
Reading about the league below you are right. A ludicrous system. Surely it would be better to have the four "weakest" playoff winners playoff against each other to reduce seven winners to five? At least then they would at least have a chance of going up.

Is this just a one season anomaly while they adjust to changing to four divisions instead of three in the tier above or is this the permanent arrangement?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3425 on: April 27, 2019, 09:58:56 PM »
Reading about the league below you are right. A ludicrous system. Surely it would be better to have the four "weakest" playoff winners playoff against each other to reduce seven winners to five? At least then they would at least have a chance of going up.

Is this just a one season anomaly while they adjust to changing to four divisions instead of three in the tier above or is this the permanent arrangement?

Whatever it is now is bound to be changed next year.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #3426 on: April 27, 2019, 10:08:14 PM »
Bromsgrove are at home to Sutton Coldfield Town on Weds in their play-off semi, as SCT only got 62 points i'm going to assume they can't be promoted even if they win the play-offs.
As an aside Bromsgrove got 87 points and are guaranteed promotion if they win the play-offs.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #3427 on: April 27, 2019, 10:10:34 PM »
Leicester Road FC
‏@FCLeicesterRoad
6 hours ago

About 5 mins of stoppage time due to a @StudleyFc player getting sent off incorrectly, then the ref send their number 9 off instead of 6, Harrison gets a sending off too and then their number 4 gets a red???
Wasn’t a foul in the first place.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #3428 on: April 27, 2019, 10:30:07 PM »
I winder if this lot will be at The Vic

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #3429 on: April 27, 2019, 10:35:54 PM »

Probably. What an annoying mob they are.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3430 on: April 27, 2019, 11:58:54 PM »

Probably. What an annoying mob they are.

That is hateful and wrong. It's like (single, male) Purchasing Managers going to salsa classes because they say admire the Latin American spirit. If nobody in Purchasing wants to shag you mate, you're not going to have much luck with people who can dance.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3431 on: April 28, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »

Whatever it is now is bound to be changed next year.

I accompanied my old man to a Solihull Borough (as I think they may still have been called then) game about ten years ago and they won automatic promotion by winning that day. Their win had clinched them sixth place and the last automatic promotion place. This was not the usual system but for that season only things were different as they were restructuring the leagues.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #3432 on: May 01, 2019, 10:29:46 AM »
If the play-offs couldn't get any more farcical, the Kings Lynn v Stratford Southern Central semi-final has been postponed due to Stratford fielding a ineligible player in February still not being cleared up. Kings Lynn complained that having the match in a few days time would be unfair on whoever won as they would have less time before the final, so the other semi, Stour v Alvechurch due tonight, was officially postponed this morning. Because Stour groundshare with a cricket club they might not be able to play the re-arranged game at home. Stour's chairman is talking about pulling out of the play-offs altogether and Kings Lynn are considering legal action against someone, for something. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:42:38 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Nev

« Reply #3433 on: May 01, 2019, 12:16:46 PM »
If the play-offs couldn't get any more farcical, the Kings Lynn v Stratford Southern Central semi-final has been postponed due to Stratford fielding a ineligible player in February still not being cleared up. Kings Lynn complained that having the match in a few days time would be unfair on whoever won as they would have less time before the final, so the other semi, Stour v Alvechurch due tonight, was officially postponed this morning. Because Stour groundshare with a cricket club they might not be able to play the re-arranged game at home. Stour's chairman is talking about pulling out of the play-offs altogether and Kin gs Lynn are considering legal action against someone, for something. 

It's been a barmy couple of days. I was supposed to be commentating on the game tonight, instead I will be watching Barca V Liverpool and if the latter prevail you can add me to the list of people who are "not best pleased".

Offline Nev

« Reply #3434 on: May 01, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
If the play-offs couldn't get any more farcical, the Kings Lynn v Stratford Southern Central semi-final has been postponed due to Stratford fielding a ineligible player in February still not being cleared up. Kings Lynn complained that having the match in a few days time would be unfair on whoever won as they would have less time before the final, so the other semi, Stour v Alvechurch due tonight, was officially postponed this morning. Because Stour groundshare with a cricket club they might not be able to play the re-arranged game at home. Stour's chairman is talking about pulling out of the play-offs altogether and Kin gs Lynn are considering legal action against someone, for something. 

It's been a barmy couple of days. I was supposed to be commentating on the game tonight, instead I will be watching Barca V Liverpool and if the latter prevail you can add me to the list of people who are "not best pleased".

It was re-arranged for tomorrow night by lunchtime, then moved to BH Monday by tea time which means 3 games in 6 days potentially including a mid week trip to Kings Lynn in all probability.