collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Recent Posts

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Non-League Thread  (Read 267073 times)

Offline cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 19.01.2017
The Non-League Thread
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:55:26 PM »
After speaking to Dave Cooper yesterday I've decided to start this thread.

Put all non-league related musings in here.

I have some questions to ask regular non-leaguers. I tend to support all local teams but are there any that I shouldn't follow? For example are there any that sing 'shit on the Villa'? Solihull Moors are probably the closest to me but I imagine they're all Noses, apologies if I'm wrong.

Are non-league sides able to request to rotate home fixtures with local league clubs to maximise attendances or do they have to put up with whatever fixtures they're given?

Do all non-league sides treat the various cups seriously or do some play reserve teams in them? Do they have squads big enough to have reserve teams?

Has the implementation of the Conference North/South divisions been a good or bad thing?

Who are the best and worst non-league fans (if Man Ure fans are anything to go by I imagine FC Ure must be scummers) and which are the best and worst non-league grounds people have visited?

Finally, I hear Stefan is scoring ten goals a week at the moment, how are any other ex-Villa/clubs of local interest players getting on?

Apologies for the long post...

Offline shaunyh

• reserve
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »
Tamworth's captain is Chris Smith.

:-)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• prolific poster
  • GM : 02.08.2016
Re: The Non-League Thread
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:30:06 PM »
If I may!

Quote from: "cdvillafan"
After speaking to Dave Cooper yesterday I've decided to start this thread.

Put all non-league related musings in here.

I have some questions to ask regular non-leaguers. I tend to support all local teams but are there any that I shouldn't follow? For example are there any that sing 'shit on the Villa'? Solihull Moors are probably the closest to me but I imagine they're all Noses, apologies if I'm wrong.

Blues play their reserve games there but their fans aren't all noses. It's worth a visit for their clubhouse which is possibly the best in their league (Conference North). They do lovely burgers as well.

Are non-league sides able to request to rotate home fixtures with local league clubs to maximise attendances or do they have to put up with whatever fixtures they're given?

In the Birmingham Senior Cup (which we don't bloody enter) the non-league sides can request that the game is played at their ground, but in recent years the Brum FA have made sure the league clubs are drawn away anyway.
In the FA Cup the teams must play as they are drawn.

Do all non-league sides treat the various cups seriously or do some play reserve teams in them? Do they have squads big enough to have reserve teams?

It depends really, if a tinpot cup game falls between a big run of games than 'fringe' players will be used, at Tamuff we generally take the cups seriously.
Most clubs have reserve teams, usually full of youngsters.

Has the implementation of the Conference North/South divisions been a good or bad thing?

This is purely my opinion.
Bad. Football should be regionalised at League 2 level, it's madness to have a national league at level five, and to expect a team like Gloucester at level six (Conf North) to travel to places like Blyth and Workington is just daft.
There should be four divisions at level six and two at level five feeding into the league.

Who are the best and worst non-league fans (if Man Ure fans are anything to go by I imagine FC Ure must be scummers) and which are the best and worst non-league grounds people have visited?

FC United fans believe they invented non-league football! They sing Man Utd songs throughout the game as well.
Best? Again just my opinion but Barrow are great, they travel in good numbers huge distances.
Stourbridge if only for their amazing collection of complete wierdos.
Can I nominate Tamworth? Voted most drunk away fans in Conference North two years running!

Worst?
AFC Telford have a large collection of scumbags, as do Merthyr.
Stafford hate us so we sometimes have bother up there but most other clubs don't apparently.
Other than that, can't say I have had much bother, we are a friendly bunch down here in the wilderness!

Grounds: I'll do the local ones only.

Best - Worcester City, superb old style stadium, visit it before it goes (they will be in a new stadium soon).
Darlaston - marvel at the slope!
Bilston - bizarre wine bar style clubhouse and padded seats in the stand.
Stourbridge - full of character (and characters!)
Pilkington - a fine example of an old Birmingham Works League ground.

Worst - Tipton Town - horrible athletics stadium.
Willenhall - coldest place on earth, even in a heatwave.

I'll add others as I think of them!

Finally, I here Stefan is scoring ten goals a week at the moment, how are any other ex-Villa/clubs of local interest players getting on?

John McGrath is doing well at Burton (okay, not non-league but they should be).
Stephen Cooke is also at Halesowen.
Other than that, can't think of any.
Oh, Adam Rachel is still scaring the kids at Solihull.

Any other questions?

Apologies for the long post...[/quote]

Offline dave.woodhall

• prolific poster
  • Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
  • GM : 01.01.2015
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »
Quote from: "Dave Cooper"
Stourbridge if only for their amazing collection of complete wierdos.

Oh yes.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• prolific poster
  • GM : 17.03.2015
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »
The mighty Bromsgrove Rovers drew with Stourbridge yesterday in the FA Cup.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »
Quote from: "Dave Cooper"

In the Birmingham Senior Cup (which we don't bloody enter) the non-league sides can request that the game is played at their ground, but in recent years the Brum FA have made sure the league clubs are drawn away anyway.
In the FA Cup the teams must play as they are drawn.

Sorry I meant do teams rotate their home league fixtures to avoid clashing with league teams? For example like Villa and Blose never play at home in the same week.

• prolific poster
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »
Quote from: "cdvillafan"

Sorry I meant do teams rotate their home league fixtures to avoid clashing with league teams? For example like Villa and Blose never play at home in the same week.

Ah!

In that case, not really.
Games will be moved to avoid big games on the telly, a lot of clubs will play games at 1pm on a Saturday if England are playing at 3pm for instance, that way they can keep fans in the clubhouse afterwards to watch the England game.
I know that clubs can ask the fixture secretary to move games on certain days if they clash with a big event in their town and we (Tamuff) have been told we have to play our game against Luton on a Sunday by the police because they won't have the manpower to police our game and the games at Stoke and Burton.

Offline dave.woodhall

• prolific poster
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 03:06:50 PM »
Quote from: "PeterWithesShin"
The mighty Bromsgrove Rovers drew with Stourbridge yesterday in the FA Cup.

Replay Tuesday night, which will be Stour's first game at the Estadio del Amblecote this season.

Offline peter w

• prolific poster
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 12:08:04 AM »
With Pilkington looking likely to close I wonder if the old Triplex will lose their ground.

Best pitch by far at that level was at Cadbury before they had to share with Triplex (Pilkington). I've played for both and it was always a source of contention that the Cadbury board (not the football club) would never erect lights so the club could never gain promotion to the Midland Comg conference. So, they eventually decided to share with Triplex (Pilkington). Although, they were also pushed.

In a nice link I was playing for Triplex U-13 or U-15 when the lights were first installed.

Surprised to see you leave Leamington out Dave regarding their travelling support. Is it still as large as it was about 3 or 4 years back. Although I guess Barrow do have further to travel so fair play to them.

• prolific poster
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 12:15:26 AM »
Quote from: "peter w"
With Pilkington looking likely to close I wonder if the old Triplex will lose their ground.

Best pitch by far at that level was at Cadbury before they had to share with Triplex (Pilkington). I've played for both and it was always a source of contention that the Cadbury board (not the football club) would never erect lights so the club could never gain promotion to the Midland Comg conference. So, they eventually decided to share with Triplex (Pilkington). Although, they were also pushed.

Yes, Cadbury's ground is superb and it is a pity that it can't have floodlights, Cadbury reserves still play there though.
I played on that ground for Polesworth North Warwick in a Midland Combination Presidents Cup match in 1983, we won 3-0 I think.

Surprised to see you leave Leamington out Dave regarding their travelling support. Is it still as large as it was about 3 or 4 years back. Although I guess Barrow do have further to travel so fair play to them.

Never been to Leamington since they reformed and never seen them play away either, they do travel though, attendances are higher at any game they are at.

Offline dave.woodhall

• prolific poster
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 12:19:39 AM »
We ought to sort a game out when Villa have a blank Saturday to meet up and give a Combination/WML team a boost to their attendance.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• prolific poster
  • GM : 17.03.2015
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 12:27:14 AM »
I'd be up for that providing it's not someone like Redditch and I can afford it/get there.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 12:38:37 AM »
What about Pelsall Villa? I've always liked their name.

Offline dave.woodhall

• prolific poster
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 12:39:49 AM »
Quote from: "PeterWithesShin"
I'd be up for that providing it's not someone like Redditch and I can afford it/get there.

Somewhere close to a station, with a bar, and preferably who only get about 30 or 40 watching them anyway so we can make a real difference to the crowd. Any ideas Coops?

Offline cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
The Non-League Thread
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 12:42:47 AM »
I know a team in Small Heath who have great difficulty attracting crowds.