collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving  (Read 3204348 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #21000 on: April 24, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
Some Blue Nose took a picture of Villa fans at Lichfield train station before the Millwall game and posted it up on Twitter with a reference about Vills fans coming from outside of the city. The obsession sometimes truly is unbelievable.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21001 on: April 24, 2019, 09:55:29 AM »
I love the fact that fans of so many other teams now seem to know exactly what they are like. Everyone seems to know exactly what they are apart from themselves. Usually people side with the underdog in a two team city, but not where that lot are concerned.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2020
« Reply #21002 on: April 24, 2019, 10:01:29 AM »
Some Blue Nose took a picture of Villa fans at Lichfield train station before the Millwall game and posted it up on Twitter with a reference about Vills fans coming from outside of the city. The obsession sometimes truly is unbelievable.

He must have had a mighty powerful telephoto lens to get that snap all the way from Bordesley Green, either that or, as I suspect, the irony is totally lost on him.

Offline danno

« Reply #21003 on: April 24, 2019, 10:05:56 AM »
Nose:  We are proper working class fans from the city.

Villa fan: shouldn't your ground be full then?

Nose: yours is only full because of all the supporters you get from Warwickshire and Lichfield

Villa fan: Doesn't that just prove that Villa are a big club attracting supporters from all over?

Nose: Villa aren't a big club!

Offline Deano's Mullet

• Location: Formerly Kidderminster/Erdington/Redditch, now exiled in Sussex
« Reply #21004 on: April 24, 2019, 10:08:27 AM »
Hilarious when you think that you see flags at Small Heath games saying Oxford Blues, Redditch Blues,  Milton Keynes Blues. It's exactly the same on their forum, people from places other than Birmingham. But it's alright for them. Yes we have a lot of out of towners  - we are a bigger club - but we still have more support in the city than them. And a lot of the outmof towners are Brummies  who moved out of the city and come back for games. I sure this counts for a lot of Blues out of town support too. It's natural. But if only true Brummies support Blues then do people in the city not like football because their attendances are pitiful. And you only have to look in our own programmes at where our featured fans and mascots come from - plenty from Birmingham.  Look at attendances in the mid 80s. We were still pulling more in than them at a time when gates were low everywhere. Surely not glory hunters at Villa Park in the mid 80s!
The other one they go on about is about no Villa fans in the city centre on derby day. My theory is this - Their bulk support is south of the city centre. They have to go through the centre to get to the train stations. The bulk of our local support is north of the centre where the ground is. The ground is also incredibly easy to get too from  all regions of Brum as it's just off the motorway. On Villa Park derby day we don't need to go into the centre.
Like someone said, their success is when we fail.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:19:12 AM by Deano's Mullet »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21005 on: April 24, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »
Offical sha twitter yesterday for St George's Day.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #21006 on: April 24, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »
Hahahaha. But that's ok.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #21007 on: April 24, 2019, 10:46:33 AM »
I live fifty miles south of London. All the towns round here have large contingents of people who have moved out of London in the overspill and who all support the London teams they used to be local to. At work we have two Hammers, both from London, and three  Palace, all from London.  Birmingham I am sure is no different - if people are coming in from Lichfield and Cannock it doesn't mean that they aren't originally Brummies.
Looking at other clubs you can't tell me that the big crowds at Arsenal, Spurs and now W Ham for example only survive on their core local support making up  their attendances. Every club has out of town support, even Blues. Down here in Sussex the number of Brighton shirts has trebelled in the last three years. And i see mini buses laid on locally for taking fans to the Amex. Unheard of just four years ago. You can't tell me they are all from Brighton.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 26.01.2020
« Reply #21008 on: April 24, 2019, 11:02:31 AM »

The funny thing was there were three Villa fans in the picture. Three.

To be fair, as a wind up, it does seem to work. A couple of my mates are always at it and they always get someone frothing at the mouth. Despite all us Villa fans living in the city boundaries and the WUM from Warks and Staffs.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:05:19 AM by PeterWithe »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #21009 on: April 24, 2019, 11:12:42 AM »
I honestly have never known a bigger load of bullshitters in my life.  Like the one that claimed Joe Lolley's mum sits next to him at the matches and says she hates her son because he loves Villa. 

Offline itbrvilla

« Reply #21010 on: April 24, 2019, 11:31:39 AM »
Hilarious when you think that you see flags at Small Heath games saying Oxford Blues, Redditch Blues,  Milton Keynes Blues. It's exactly the same on their forum, people from places other than Birmingham. But it's alright for them. Yes we have a lot of out of towners  - we are a bigger club - but we still have more support in the city than them. And a lot of the outmof towners are Brummies  who moved out of the city and come back for games. I sure this counts for a lot of Blues out of town support too. It's natural. But if only true Brummies support Blues then do people in the city not like football because their attendances are pitiful. And you only have to look in our own programmes at where our featured fans and mascots come from - plenty from Birmingham.  Look at attendances in the mid 80s. We were still pulling more in than them at a time when gates were low everywhere. Surely not glory hunters at Villa Park in the mid 80s!
The other one they go on about is about no Villa fans in the city centre on derby day. My theory is this - Their bulk support is south of the city centre. They have to go through the centre to get to the train stations. The bulk of our local support is north of the centre where the ground is. The ground is also incredibly easy to get too from  all regions of Brum as it's just off the motorway. On Villa Park derby day we don't need to go into the centre.
Like someone said, their success is when we fail.
The south of brum is not Blose. Another myth.

Offline avfc456

« Reply #21011 on: April 24, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »
Offical sha twitter yesterday for St George's Day.

That was taken in our away end!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2020
« Reply #21012 on: April 24, 2019, 01:14:42 PM »
When I was a child and used to go down the Villa with my Dad, I distinctly remember him telling me about the support Villa enjoyed from places that were miles and miles away.  Such of these places were Gloucester, Hereford, Worcester etc.  These places with the exception of Worcester I had no idea about.  Then there was Bromsgrove, Kidderminster, Evesham to the south and Lichfield, Tamworth and Stafford to the North (ish).  He proved it by showing me the coach companies addresses emblazoned across the back of the busses.   Believe me, back then these were no glory hunters.  The Villa always have been and will continue to be a first-class draw.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #21013 on: April 24, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »
I check this thread every now and again to see if the FA has actually done anything about that little altercation a couple of months ago and each time leave with a sigh.  Just what on earth are they doing here?  Waiting until the season ends to dish out some kind of points deduction?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #21014 on: April 24, 2019, 07:00:02 PM »
They’ve started an RIP thread over there for Michael Harper the bloke who confronted Enckelman after the throw in goal in the 02-03 game. Another one who ended up in the nick.  He was also done again for violence after Villa game in 2011.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:03:34 PM by kippaxvilla2 »