collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Job too Big for Him? by villabear
[Today at 10:46:10 PM]

Re: Job too Big for Him? by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:45:03 PM]

Re: Job too Big for Him? by Villan For Life
[Today at 10:44:29 PM]

Re: Job too Big for Him? by Bad English
[Today at 10:44:02 PM]

Re: Job too Big for Him? by Diablo
[Today at 10:41:28 PM]

Re: Purity Brewing as an official Supplier by Flin5tone
[Today at 10:40:33 PM]

Re: Job too Big for Him? by Legion
[Today at 10:37:46 PM]

Re: Reserves, Academy and Women 2019-20 by Newby
[Today at 10:31:50 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Most games a team can play in a season  (Read 244 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2020
Most games a team can play in a season
« on: August 14, 2019, 11:41:24 AM »
From today's Grauniad website

“What’s the maximum number of games that an English league club could theoretically play in one season,” asks @jamesv_t.

Adam W starts us off with some linear, perfectly sensible thinking. “By my calculations, assuming they reach the finals of all three cup competitions they are in and need replays where possible in the FA Cup, Wolves could play 74 games this season (38 PL, eight FA Cup, six League Cup, 22 Europa League).”

Some lateral thinking from Andy Brook. “I think a League One team can play 78 matches if they reach the finals of the play-offs, FA Cup (with replays in every round), League Cup and Football League Trophy, “ he says. “They would start all cup competitions in the first round, of course. Although thinking further, that team could have theoretically won the FA Cup the previous season. In which case, they’d have the Community Shield and a bunch of Europa League matches too.”

Original asker @jamesv_t goes yet further into the unknown and almost certainly impossible. “If a League One team had won the FA Cup two years previously, and the Europa League/FA Cup last season, could they not have Champions League football too? Maybe dropping down to Europa League after the group stage?”

Finally, Brook returns to break it all down for us: “Season one: wins Champions League but relegated to Championship. Season two: retains Champions League, wins FA Cup but relegated to League One. Season three: competes in League One and makes playoffs, FA Cup, League Cup, EFL Trophy, Champions League, Community Shield, Super Cup and World Club Cup!

“Working it out: Football League regular-season matches 46, playoffs three, FA Cup 12, League Cup six (I assume they’d start in the third round due to European competitions), EFL Trophy eight. Champions League group six. They finish third and enter the Europa League to play nine further games. Plus Community Shield for one game, Uefa Super Cup for another game, World Club Cup adds two more games. Which makes 94 (ninety-four)!”

Pep Guardiola, it’s over to you.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
Re: Most games a team can play in a season
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 10:28:16 PM »
The EFL rules state that if teams finish exactly level on points, goal difference, goals scored, head to head, disciplinary record and red cards, and the position decides promotion or relegation, a further playoff or playoffs are required.

So you could play more than that.

Also, I think matches such as Birmingham Senior Cup/Manchester Senior Cup, etc, are technically classed as first team competitions so they could be added to.

And cup games could have to be replayed due to fielding ineligible players.