collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christopher Priest  (Read 26705 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Christopher Priest
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Smith"

We are in no position to say what is right and wrong to help a family cope with this tragedy. If it helps them deal with it then it is worth doing and I'm sure that most, if not all, of those attending the game will have no issue with showing a little repect.

I agree.

We can argue against doing it and pull up objections (some of which are convincing), but at the end of the day, that couple has lost their son, and whatever helps them to deal with it, if we can do it, we should.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Christopher Priest
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"

We are in no position to say what is right and wrong to help a family cope with this tragedy. If it helps them deal with it then it is worth doing and I'm sure that most, if not all, of those attending the game will have no issue with showing a little repect.

I agree.

We can argue against doing it and pull up objections (some of which are convincing), but at the end of the day, that couple has lost their son, and whatever helps them to deal with it, if we can do it, we should.

I agree too.  

It happened in the vicinity of the ground just after the game finished so it's associated with the club.  

It should be remembered by the club and the fans at the wishes of the lad's family.  There was a minutes silence for the steward that died at the QPR cup game and this is a similar situation.

Offline charlie

Christopher Priest
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2008, 03:51:16 PM »
Quote from: "Bren_d"
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"

I agree.

I agree too.  

It happened in the vicinity of the ground just after the game finished so it's associated with the club.  

It should be remembered by the club and the fans at the wishes of the lad's family.  There was a minutes silence for the steward that died at the QPR cup game and this is a similar situation.
Totally agree, if it helps at an awful time for the family, and incidentally makes us all reflect on what is really important, then it should be done.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Christopher Priest
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »
While I do see peter's point, ultimately it's a small gesture in the grand scheme of things. Not much to ask really, and will help the closure process for the family.

Offline Villa Lion

• http://www.the-memorabilia-shop.co.uk
Christopher Priest
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2008, 08:22:12 PM »
Quote from: "IanB"
Let there be silence, if that's what the poor family want. It's not important to some but clearly very important to them. It can't hurt. Quite a shrine for the lad now.

any pics anywhere?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Christopher Priest
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2008, 08:44:27 PM »
Quote from: "Villa Lion"
Let there be silence, if that's what the poor family want. It's not important to some but clearly very important to them. It can't hurt. Quite a shrine for the lad now.

any pics anywhere?

Sorry no, I really didn't give it a seconds thought.

I did. It did not seem appropriate at the time.

Offline Busvaldo

Christopher Priest
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2008, 08:57:37 PM »
Sing his name,Christopher Priest,at Everton,no better tribute to a Villa fan.

Offline The Man With A Stick

Christopher Priest
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »
I too think its right to hold a minute's silence if that's what his family want.  The lad died just minutes after leaving Villa Park.  I'm certain the Wigan fans won't have a problem with it either.

It's no different to Liverpool having one for those who died at Hillsborough, only this will be a one-off rather than an annual event.

Offline Chris Harte

Christopher Priest
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2008, 10:55:53 PM »
Quote from: "The Man With A Stick"
I too think its right to hold a minute's silence if that's what his family want.  The lad died just minutes after leaving Villa Park.  

In a nutshell, as far as I'm concerned.

Surprised that some are seemingly not in favour, to be honest.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Christopher Priest
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2008, 11:55:36 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Harte"
Quote from: "The Man With A Stick"
I too think its right to hold a minute's silence if that's what his family want.  The lad died just minutes after leaving Villa Park.  

In a nutshell, as far as I'm concerned.

Surprised that some are seemingly not in favour, to be honest.

Same here, pretty sure we have had a moments silence at the match after lads have been killed in a car crash on the way back from an away game.

From what we know so far 'there but for the grace of God'.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Christopher Priest
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2008, 08:20:57 AM »
Quote from: "monkstripe"
http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2008/04/23/family-pleads-for-villa-park-tribute-97319-20806208/

Family pleads for Villa park tribute
Apr 23 2008 By Paul Bradley

I think the word "pleads" in this Evening Mail headline implies that the club are turning their back on this family. Reading into the article, let alone leaving aside what we already know from The General's comments on here, it is clear that this was never the case.

Not having a minute's silence would make the club look very mean spirited and uncaring.

Offline peter w

Christopher Priest
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »
Quote from: "usav"
Can I ask why the names of the three people that have been bailed have not been released?  I thought name protection applied to juveniles.

There is no obligation to name suspects until they are charged.

Although no obligation it is regularly done as the press usually take an interest. Still begs the question why in this particular case have the suspects not been named. Unless its because releasing the names would harm the case. There may even be press restrictions imposed by the police and /or courts. We'll find out why in due course.

Offline charlie

Christopher Priest
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
Quote from: "garyfouroaks"

Perversely, the way that this story has unfolded makes me proud to be a Villa fan, H&V devotee,Brummie and occasional contributor.

When the story broke,with wildly inaccurate details, the reaction from our support was measured and collected. No "reprisal" talk, no hot headed language, just a wait and see approach. To be fair the same came from small heath. What a contrast to the slavering "Sun" keen to exploit divisions in our city.

A tragedy has been dealt with with dignity, and all villa fans and Brummies should be proud.

Offline charlie

Christopher Priest
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2008, 08:59:52 AM »
Good that word such as dignity, and thoughts of decency and appropriateness should come from a football fans website. A lesson to be learned. I too feel that H&V have handled this issue well.

Offline SaluteIanTaylor

Christopher Priest
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »
R.I.P young man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal