collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Poll

Which was your favourite?

1994: 3-1 versus Manchester United
13 (48.1%)
1996: 3-0 versus Leeds United
14 (51.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: July 14, 2007, 05:14:07 PM

Author Topic: 90s League Cup Triumphs: Your Favourite?  (Read 18128 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
90s League Cup Triumphs: Your Favourite?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 12:51:02 AM »
Quote from: "The Man With A Stick"
Tough, tough question.  I had to go for the 1994 one because we had some really tough draws along the way (Arsenal, Spurs and Sunderland all away) followed by the greatest game I've ever seen at Villa Park.  Final wasn't bad either!

Saying that, I think the 1996 team were better.

But surely that's why the '94 win was far more memorable. A far more inconsistent team than the heroes of '96, playing a Manchester United side that had lost...what, 3 times all season? We were favourites against Leeds two years later and duly annihalated them.

We were underdogs in '94 and regardless of how ManUre moaned about it being bottom of their priorities and that they were missing Schmeicheal and Cantona; the final of '94 completed a fantastic cup odyssey. Our first trophy in over a decade was so so sweet.

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 07:57:10 AM »
We were underdogs in '94 and regardless of how ManUre moaned about it being bottom of their priorities and that they were missing Schmeicheal and Cantona;

I'm quite certain that Cantona played in that game, they had a full strength team other than Sealy filling in for Schmeicel.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 05:22:14 PM »
96 for me. For the 94 game I took my little sister and I spent most of the time worrying she'd get lost. Plus, she didnt really understand the importance of it all.

In 96 she was a bit older, but more importantly she was sat with my mum elsewhere in the stadium. I managed to blag a ticket at the last minute and was sat on my own. I say on my own, when obviously I mean with 30,000 other villains all singing Boom Boom Boom, Let Me Hear You Say Savo!! Savo!!

It was a demolition job and seeing Ian Taylor bang one in was the icing on the cake.

Offline Bruce Bigalow

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
Blues away 93 was quality though I honestly thought I was going to get killed that night.

Spurs away 93 in the quarter final was superb though I also thought I was going to get killed outside the ground on that dodgy housing estate where they had had the riots a few years earlier.

Dalians goal at Wembley was the second finest moment in 20 years following the Villa but his late goal at home to Tranmere clinches top prize for me.

Singing Oasis 'roll with it' after the final whistle in 96 was also a very fine moment to spend with friends; pity we didn't have enough left to overcome the scousers a couple of weeks later at Old Trafford.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 11:47:37 AM »
1996 because we behaved like we belonged. In 1994 we turned up like tourists enjoying a day out - and the way we still try to throw it back at Manchester United when they've won about 150 trophies since then is a bit embarassing.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
B-lose away 93 was quality though I honestly thought I was going to get killed that night.

Spurs away 93 in the quarter final was superb though I also thought I was going to get killed outside the ground on that dodgy housing estate where they had had the riots a few years earlier.

My most two 'dangerous' moments as a football fan as well, probably.

The Spuds were not happy at all which took me by surprise, I was fully expecting it from the gypos.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal