collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The NFL Thread (with added College Football)  (Read 800757 times)

Offline John Abbey

The NFL Thread (with added College Football)
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »
stopped following american football a few years back but my team when I was younger was the Washington Redskins (picked at random during the first season shown on channel 4 with Nicky Horne, they won the superbowl that season but they were my team from week one, Joe Theissman and John Riggins were awesome)
I do have a couple of questions:
The Cleveland Browns (named after founder Paul Brown rather than the colour they play in IIRC) ceased to exist a few years back when the franchise moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, are the Browns a new club or did the Ravens move back to Cleveland?
Where are the Baltimore Colts based nowadays?
can somebody please post a current list of NFL franchises, preferably showing some history of where they came from eg;
Oakland/LA/back to Oakland Raiders
St Louis/ Phoenix Cardinals etc
just so I can get my bearings again

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2006, 09:11:04 PM »
Quote from: "John Abbey"
stopped following american football a few years back but my team when I was younger was the Washington Redskins (picked at random during the first season shown on channel 4 with Nicky Horne, they won the superbowl that season but they were my team from week one, Joe Theissman and John Riggins were awesome)
I do have a couple of questions:
The Cleveland Browns (named after founder Paul Brown rather than the colour they play in IIRC) ceased to exist a few years back when the franchise moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, are the Browns a new club or did the Ravens move back to Cleveland?
Where are the Baltimore Colts based nowadays?
can somebody please post a current list of NFL franchises, preferably showing some history of where they came from eg;
Oakland/LA/back to Oakland Raiders
St Louis/ Phoenix Cardinals etc
just so I can get my bearings again

Browns
The original Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. Part of the deal done by the owners with the NFL was that the Browns name, records and history would remain in limbo until an expansion team was placed in Cleveland. This is what happened and the "new" Browns are Randy's team.

Colts
Left Baltimore under cloak of darkness in the middle of the night back in the 80's. Now in Indy and one of the top teams thanks to QB Peyton Manning and WR Marvin Harrison

Raiders
Oakland > LA > Oakland.

Cardinals
Chicago > St Louis > Phoenix

A good place to check team histories is here[/b]

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 11:11:35 PM »
This thread had no street-cred whatsoever until Julie came on: a real American who knows her football.

I was expecting a deluge of Dawg fans to give us some real comment from other people who know about football. Come on, you can do better than this. ;-)

Offline Julie

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2006, 07:05:59 AM »
stopped following american football a few years back but my team when I was younger was the Washington Redskins (picked at random during the first season shown on channel 4 with Nicky Horne, they won the superbowl that season but they were my team from week one, Joe Theissman and John Riggins were awesome

Damn right they were! Don't forget Art Monk and Darrell Green! Those were good years...very very good years. :)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2006, 02:42:43 PM »
Julie wrote:

I'd pick the Dallas Cowboys over them, and that's quite painful for me to type!

We're so close Julie! I reckon by the year 2010 we'll get you at Texas Stadium with the only set of fans left that still do the Mexican Wave....

...apart from Wigan Athletic.  #-o

Offline John Abbey

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 07:01:59 PM »
Cheers for the link,UKRedsox. I notice that LA, who had 2 teams when I started watching football, now has none.  Losing one team is unfortunate, losing 2 is just bloody careless isn't it? #-o

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 07:50:48 AM »
Cheers for the link,UKRedsox. I notice that LA, who had 2 teams when I started watching football, now has none.  Losing one team is unfortunate, losing 2 is just bloody careless isn't it? #-o

There's always rumours of another team moving to LA. In the aftermath of Katrina, the New Orleans Saints were favourites but they now seem committed to staying in NO for the short term at least.

The other team that's mentioned is the Minnesota Vikings. There's actually precident for this because that's where the LA Lakers basketball team moved from.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 10:01:25 AM »
A rare NFL trade....

ATLANTA -- Filling their need for a No. 3 wide receiver, the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday night acquired disgruntled Denver Broncos veteran Ashley Lelie in a three-team trade.

The Falcons sent former first-round tailback T.J. Duckett to Washington. At worst, the Broncos will receive two draft choices from Washington -- third- and fourth-round picks

The Redskins need a backup running back in case Clinton Portis isn't fit to start the season.

More here

Also, bad news for all the Cowboys fans, T.O. has tweaked his hamstring again

Offline NickF

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2006, 09:55:30 PM »
I've been a big Redskins fan since the early eighties. I used to listen on Armed Forces Radio back in those days  - desperate reception and all that. Tinternet and Sky makes that a thing of the past thankfully. Think we'll go close this year if we keep Brunell healthy. Certainly the best shape we've been since 1991. NFC East is looking very tough though...

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »
Quote from: "NickF"
I've been a big Redskins fan since the early eighties. I used to listen on Armed Forces Radio back in those days  - desperate reception and all that.

That was me in the early eighties as well.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2006, 08:05:28 AM »
I know that coach Art Shell is trying to bring back the old-style Raider throwing game but this just seems like desperation to me.

In Dallas, the T.O. troubles are continuing.

It looks like Priest Holmes, one of the NFL's recent greats may have played his last game.

Offline OneIanTaylor

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2006, 07:22:49 PM »
That's a shame for Holmes, I hope he recovers. Larry Johnson had quite a season though last time.

Offline AVFC13

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2006, 09:43:23 PM »
The Lions are my team.  I've lived in Detroit for 16 years now and follow all the teams here.  The Lions (NFL), Tigers (baseball), Red Wings (Hockey), and the Pistons (basketball).  The Pistons, Red Wings, and the Tigers all finished, or will finish (tigers) with the best record in their sports for the year.  But sadly got dumped out of the playoffs too soon.  

I also graduated from Michigan State University, so I support the MSU Spartans.  GO GREEN!

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2006, 08:13:43 AM »
Quote from: AVFC13
The Lions are my team.  I've lived in Detroit for 16 years now and follow all the teams here.  The Lions (NFL), Tigers (baseball), Red Wings (Hockey), and the Pistons (basketball). 

Its amazing the difference that Jim Leyland has made to the Tigers. Very similar to the affect that MON is having on the Villa. Taking basically the same group of players from mediocrity to contention.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:04:18 AM by UK Redsox »

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
Redskins or Ravens for me, seen them both in the past couple of years, frequent visitor on business to the area so managed to catch a couple of games.

Baseball same again, have to be the Orioles cos I've seen 'em.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal