collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2129520 times)

Offline Gregorys Boy

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #12405 on: April 20, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
There's no point talking about new managers just yet, we might still get second God damn it! :-X

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #12406 on: April 21, 2018, 10:38:08 PM »
Looks like it's the play offs or nothing.  If we do not go up, do we stick with Bruce?  Particularly as we seem to have a bit of money to spend now we have a load of players leaving and the Recon training ground deal.  Shit or bust.  Does Bruce get one more season or does he go at the end of this season?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12407 on: April 21, 2018, 10:39:13 PM »
That's two games in a row now where Bruce hasn't done the post match interview.  It was Clemence last week, and Calderwood this.  Any ideas as to why?

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #12408 on: April 21, 2018, 10:43:48 PM »
That's two games in a row now where Bruce hasn't done the post match interview.  It was Clemence last week, and Calderwood this.  Any ideas as to why?

He travelled to see his sick mother apparently.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12409 on: April 21, 2018, 11:00:40 PM »
Fair enough.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #12410 on: April 22, 2018, 01:01:09 AM »
Looks like it's the play offs or nothing.  If we do not go up, do we stick with Bruce?  Particularly as we seem to have a bit of money to spend now we have a load of players leaving and the Recon training ground deal.  Shit or bust.  Does Bruce get one more season or does he go at the end of this season?

It's a good question. Are we moving forward at present? I would say yes, even if we don't go up. Therefore I say keep Bruce. If, next season, it appears we are not still moving forward then review the situation again. If we don't go up this year I would want us to to be in and around the top 3 as a fixture next season.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #12411 on: April 22, 2018, 07:09:01 AM »
How many times would Bruce have to fail to justify binning him?

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #12412 on: April 22, 2018, 07:31:11 AM »
If, we don’t go up ( I think we will) then I don’t see why we would keep him

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #12413 on: April 22, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »
I see Brentford are knocking on the playoff door. If Bruce ends up going at some point I would still be looking at Dean Smith.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12414 on: April 22, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »

It's a good question. Are we moving forward at present? I would say yes, even if we don't go up. Therefore I say keep Bruce. If, next season, it appears we are not still moving forward then review the situation again. If we don't go up this year I would want us to to be in and around the top 3 as a fixture next season.

Next season will be tougher to challenge for automatic than this year imo.

Can't see the teams coming down being as bad as Sunderland and to a lesser extent Hull were.

Conflicting stories on FFP but we probably won't be able to go out and get players like Snodgrass and Grabban on loan. We'd have to sell a key player or two to do that.

If we didn't go up and kept SB I'd imagine he'd still have us around the top 6 next year but would that be enough? He's been criticised plenty on here for not getting top 2 (I wanted it aswell) so suddenly next year 5th or 6th would be good enough, I doubt it and would imagine that would be Dr Tony's viewpoint.

Only keep him if he's going to last the season and I really doubt it so think a change would be made.

With the fixtures left I can actually see Brentford making 6th as they have two easier games than Millwall do.

Dean Smith would've demonstrated he can finish top 6 in a championship season which is minimum we need. He's also shown he can pick up players from league 1-2 like Sawyers, Ryan Woods and Watkins and mould them into good championship players.

That's another quality we'll need from a manager if we don't go up in the next few years I think.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12415 on: April 22, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
The argument for keeping him would be, less disruption to the squad.
FFP will be an even bigger problem next year and Grealish will be sacrificed in the name of squad rebuilding.
How the club will regain momentum for yet another campaign will be the big question.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12416 on: April 22, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »
I see Brentford are knocking on the playoff door. If Bruce ends up going at some point I would still be looking at Dean Smith.
You can get arrested in some countries for that.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #12417 on: April 22, 2018, 12:20:41 PM »
Whilst I agree I'd love to see him and his football at the Villa, I just feel the pressure of managing us would become overwhelming for him.  No reason, just a gut feel.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12418 on: April 22, 2018, 12:25:55 PM »
Whilst I agree I'd love to see him and his football at the Villa, I just feel the pressure of managing us would become overwhelming for him.  No reason, just a gut feel.

Yes, I agree. It's a lovely idea and he'd get a lot of support but it might be a bit too much for him which would be a shame.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #12419 on: April 22, 2018, 12:42:15 PM »
Apparently he is also wanted by a fair few West Brom fans. Now that would be a shame.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal