collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523052 times)

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2700 on: January 22, 2019, 05:21:34 PM »
One Size fits all?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2701 on: January 22, 2019, 05:23:41 PM »
I like the look of that Size fella.
The utility player we’ve been after, looks like he can play many positions.
Yes one Size fits all.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #2702 on: January 22, 2019, 05:59:19 PM »
Does he run a trainer shop?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2703 on: January 22, 2019, 06:37:05 PM »
Ah feck, didn't check it wasn't doing odd shit with the text, I'm not fixing it from my phone.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2704 on: January 22, 2019, 09:01:16 PM »
Where do people come up with the stuff?

Whose been promoted recently needing to have spent £50m?

to guarantee staying up is the point, and lets face it Fulham spent much more than that in May, and 20m  to get promoted with far fewer players to replace than us

But once you're up you can do a fair amount of rebuilding with the PL windfall.  Yes, in an ideal world a number of our players will be able to make the step up, but we really don't need to build a PL ready squad before getting promoted.

but in Fulham's case who spent 90m when they came up they're still bottom of the league

There's an argument to made that Fulham are at the botton because they spent £90m.

They were a very good side last year. They worked as a unit and had some excellent players playing for each other. It looks like some of the buys haven't been any better and have put noses out of joint by their arrival on, presumably, big contracts.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2705 on: January 22, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »
Unbalanced squad. Or at least the defenders they brought in weren't up to standard of their attacking players.
They bought failed or unproven defenders and odi is way to short and ream far too awful to be anything but chicken feed to the premier league strikers

Anyway annoys me because I think Villa would have made a better fist of it ? And maybe Abrahams would have been with us premier league .
Mind you we may have risked Bryan who doesn't seem to be lighting up that left side.

Chambers , Mawson , Fonsu mensa, all were regularly outclassed whenever they attempted defending last season

Good luck to them but when Harry Winks can score a header they have got issues .

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2706 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:37 PM »
But Ryan sessengon is a talent and Ranieri has gone old school bringing in Ryan Babel someone who failed previously though has improved as a player but now pushed their best player out the side.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #2707 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:49 PM »
The utility player we’ve been after, looks like he can play many positions.
Yes one Size fits all.
Very good

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2708 on: January 22, 2019, 09:42:46 PM »
But Ryan sessengon is a talent and Ranieri has gone old school bringing in Ryan Babel someone who failed previously though has improved as a player but now pushed their best player out the side.

Sessengon scored a similar amount of goals to Albert last season.  He was excellent at timing his runs.  It's not so easy in the PL and he has found it difficult.  I personally don't think he's half the player that he's hyped up to be and a country mile behind the likes of Jack.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2709 on: January 22, 2019, 09:58:08 PM »

Sessengon scored a similar amount of goals to Albert last season.  He was excellent at timing his runs.  It's not so easy in the PL and he has found it difficult.  I personally don't think he's half the player that he's hyped up to be and a country mile behind the likes of Jack.

Young kid with exceptional pace. Plenty of them have been overhyped over the years. Hopefully he'll learn from this and develop rather than following the Walcott route.

Online Allan C

« Reply #2710 on: January 22, 2019, 10:49:04 PM »
Where do people come up with the stuff?

Whose been promoted recently needing to have spent £50m?

to guarantee staying up is the point, and lets face it Fulham spent much more than that in May, and 20m  to get promoted with far fewer players to replace than us

But once you're up you can do a fair amount of rebuilding with the PL windfall.  Yes, in an ideal world a number of our players will be able to make the step up, but we really don't need to build a PL ready squad before getting promoted.

but in Fulham's case who spent 90m when they came up they're still bottom of the league

There's an argument to made that Fulham are at the botton because they spent £90m.

They were a very good side last year. They worked as a unit and had some excellent players playing for each other. It looks like some of the buys haven't been any better and have put noses out of joint by their arrival on, presumably, big contracts.
Very good point. I think we should start to build a Premier League squad now which I accept won’t be easy given the financial position. When promotion comes we can then fit the players we buy into a squad that is good enough to get there and remain there. We are nowhere near that point at the moment

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2711 on: January 22, 2019, 11:41:33 PM »
Sessegnon is a cracking player for his age and if he was ours we'd be creaming ourselves. He's nearly 5 years younger than Jack and already has twice as many goals and more assists than Jack does for us despite often being played as a defender.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2712 on: January 22, 2019, 11:49:15 PM »
Sessegnon is a cracking player for his age and if he was ours we'd be creaming ourselves. He's nearly 5 years younger than Jack and already has twice as many goals and more assists than Jack does for us despite often being played as a defender.

& as I stated, Albert scored twice as many as Jack also.  Who would you prefer to have in the team?

The games I've watched Sessegnon (more last season), many have passed him by but he was able to pop up in the right place to score (the game against us being a prime example).  This papered over the cracks, as it did with Albert in his purple patch.  It hasn't happened for Sessegnon this season and he's struggled.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2713 on: January 23, 2019, 01:18:05 AM »
I was on about in his career not just last season. If someone who is over 4 years younger and has scored twice as many goals and has more assists in their career than Jack has is overrated, then what does that make Jack. And Sessegnon has 2 goals and 5 assists this season which isn't bad for an 18 year old in a struggling side. By comparison Jack has 1 goal and 1 assist in the top flight.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2714 on: January 23, 2019, 01:35:41 AM »
They are very different players though. Grealish dominates our play and makes us dangerous. Sessegnon is a speedster on the wing with an eye for a goal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal