collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113638 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Bruce out!!1@"*!1£$%
« Reply #20145 on: September 26, 2018, 03:02:09 PM »
If the former Chelsea number 26 hadn't spent a season at Villa would people still be suggesting him for the job?

Probably not, but the fact that he did spend a season here and seemed to have a positive impact in the dressing room shouldn't be dismissed.  I don't want Terry as manager (but I'd take him as a coach or assistant) but I can understand why some people might think he'd be worth a go.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #20146 on: September 26, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »
They're pretty flimsy reasons for appointing him manager at a club that aspires to be not only in, but competitive in, the Premier League.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #20147 on: September 26, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
I don't mind relative inexperience - after all, if we're looking for the next big thing then he's going to have to be - but risky novices? I don't see the appeal.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:01:25 PM by Monty »

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #20148 on: September 26, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
Sherwood had more experience than Terry or Henry but was still viewed as a bit of a rookie. It would be another massive gamble, as glamorous as those names are. We need to start acting like a big club again and our management has to reflect that. I really hope the rumours of a new technican director are true and that it's someone with links to higher-echelon coaches and managers from all over the world.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #20149 on: September 26, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »
I bet if you went onto any number of threads in the dying days of the managerial spells of McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Black or Di Matteo, you could find plenty of posts suggesting that "anyone" would do, as they can't do any worse. In each case, we ended up appointing a similarly shite successor.

I don't want to go for "anyone". No gambles, no failed dinosaurs. Get someone who the rest of football will be impressed by, rather than any old idiot with a P45 and a love of lumbering centre-halves.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #20150 on: September 26, 2018, 03:51:15 PM »
we don't make any of the hard decisions though we just chat about it on the internet

fwiw i reckon if we as fans had made the managerial appointments over the last 8 years on a majority vote system we would be better off than we are right now, but that's obviously not going to happen, i'm just saying

we all want a new football director and the new CEO to sit down and take their time in assessing all the relevant information and weighing up the pro's and con's of the individuals concerned and making a well thought out and decision

but we could still easily after all that end up with Allardyce

we just have to suck it up

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #20151 on: September 26, 2018, 04:13:42 PM »
I bet if you went onto any number of threads in the dying days of the managerial spells of McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Black or Di Matteo, you could find plenty of posts suggesting that "anyone" would do, as they can't do any worse. In each case, we ended up appointing a similarly shite successor.

I don't want to go for "anyone". No gambles, no failed dinosaurs. Get someone who the rest of football will be impressed by, rather than any old idiot with a P45 and a love of lumbering centre-halves.

Any manager worth going for, who would be willing to come to the championship, will have an element of risk and I'm ok with that, there just needs to be enough thought involved to at least identify a way of playing they want to see and finding a manager to deliver it.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #20152 on: September 26, 2018, 04:44:04 PM »
If results don't go for him in the next two games Bruce has to go, end of.
[/quote
But what if they do go for him Mr U?? Have you not seen enough of Bruce’s brand of football to know that it’s poor and outdated and not for us???  Would you be prepared to keep him on the strength of two games??

Offline Allan C

« Reply #20153 on: September 26, 2018, 04:57:39 PM »
[/quote
But what if they do go for him Mr U?? Have you not seen enough of Bruce’s brand of football to know that it’s poor and outdated and not for us???  Would you be prepared to keep him on the strength of two games??

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #20154 on: September 26, 2018, 05:01:31 PM »
The most important thing if you are taking on a young inexperienced manager is to give him the required support so that they can grow into the position without carrying the whole weight of the Club on their shoulders. They need to be a coach and motivator foremost with a mentor (DoF?) To help with all other aspects of management.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #20155 on: September 26, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
I think it will likely be Henry or Terry. Purslow worked at Chelsea long enough to know Terry, would not shock me if this is a waiting game for him and the right sporting director to help him out.

It could well be Terry and I'm only speculating, but I wonder if that is why he has held off signing another playing deal.  He's a 'name', has been at the club recently and seemed pretty popular during his time here.
I was surprised that Lampard and Terry were not announced during the summer. I guess the financial crisis got in the way.
With a decent CEO and DoF, this would have been a very potent mix … admittedly, with the benefit of hindsight, in respect of Lampard's reasonable start at Derby.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:18:43 PM by Mister E »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #20156 on: September 26, 2018, 06:13:18 PM »
If Dean Smith is not experienced enough, how on earth would Terry or Henry be a better fit ?
Dont you know they are Champions League winners🤩

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #20157 on: September 26, 2018, 07:22:29 PM »
we don't make any of the hard decisions though we just chat about it on the internet

fwiw i reckon if we as fans had made the managerial appointments over the last 8 years on a majority vote system we would be better off than we are right now, but that's obviously not going to happen, i'm just saying

we all want a new football director and the new CEO to sit down and take their time in assessing all the relevant information and weighing up the pro's and con's of the individuals concerned and making a well thought out and decision

but we could still easily after all that end up with Allardyce

we just have to suck it up

The only permanent appointment that I recall serious supporter concern with over 25 years, was McLeish. For example, Lambert had a welcoming party a few weeks before at Norwich where our away fans serenaded him.

Bruce's time seems up but our priority should be fixing the DOF and CEO roles. We have been an effective career ender for all our previous managers going back to Taylor's first reign. It's not as simple as selecting the right manager.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #20158 on: September 26, 2018, 08:07:37 PM »

Yes, this. 

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20159 on: September 26, 2018, 08:27:55 PM »
[/quote
@AllanC. When you type a reply make sure you don't accidentally remove the close quote symbol. This one ]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:29:39 PM by The Edge »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal