collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114885 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Bruce out!!1@"*!1£$%
« Reply #20130 on: September 26, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »
Great post Paulie. Totally agree. I want Bruce gone but not at the expense of a complete novice or another chancer. We’re done with that and have to start taking ourselves seriously.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #20131 on: September 26, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »
If results don't go for him in the next two games Bruce has to go, end of.

He has to go full stop. I’ve given up on this “if he doesn’t gets results in game x and y he’s got to go”, you just set yourself up for further disappointment as you’ve effectively gone for the jam today option.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #20132 on: September 26, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »
Agreed Paulie. I'm not just tired of Bruce - I'm tired of having the same arguments/rants/gripes/moans on here, week after week, season after season. I don't 'want rid of the fat twat' etc etc - I want the club to actually drag its arse into the present century, get a fit-for-purpose football infrastructure, and perhaps even (god help us) start living up to its own potential.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #20133 on: September 26, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »
I disagree, I think that's the line of thinking that makes clubs see 4 promotions and ignore everything else.

I agree that Terry or Henry would be a shot in the dark but I'm not totally against doing it. The advantage of going for either of them is that they'll have experience of the current lifestyle of a footballer, they've worked under top quality coaches and will have plenty of contacts high up in the game. If they've picked things up from that (which should come across in an interview) then their inexperience isn't so worrying.

I'd prefer someone who's a few years older and has done a good job in a few years at a club with high expectations (I've said before Gio Van Bronkhorst would be very near the top of my list) but if we can't for whatever reason, get someone like that this year I'd be happier with Henry, who has a decent reputation from his time with Belgium, than Bruce who is a dead man walking. I think Terry would be a bigger risk because he doesn't have the experience of having been on 'the other side'.

Offline exigo

« Reply #20134 on: September 26, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
Heard on Saturday that Dean Smith turned down approaches from Blues and Albion in the summer. Admittedly unsubstantiated.
So he's either waiting for us, or happy at Brentford.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #20135 on: September 26, 2018, 01:36:40 PM »
Pretty much agree with all of the last few comments.

EVen if we go on a little run of back to back wins, you just know the next barren spell is around the corner.
For the last couple of years on the pitch we have been boom or bust, feast or famine.

It seems to me that in the crazed pursuit of ‘stability’ we have overlooked the need for consistency.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #20136 on: September 26, 2018, 02:06:07 PM »
Heard on Saturday that Dean Smith turned down approaches from Blues and Albion in the summer. Admittedly unsubstantiated.

Or both.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #20137 on: September 26, 2018, 02:22:20 PM »
Has Terry got his coaching badges yet?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #20138 on: September 26, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »
I respect the views of those who wouldn’t want Terry or Lampard. In a perfect world I wouldn’t want them either if there was legimitately better managers out there that we can actually get. And maybe there is. I hope there is. But even young managers who have become successful have had to start somewhere. In many cases fans at those clubs questioned why someone untried would be given the chance at their club? And we’ve seen how managers who have experience have completely failed with us since MON. There is no one formula that is guaranteed to work.

But I absolutely know this. I want the tried and trusted Steve Bruce gone. I want rid of his lies. Of his lack of tactics. Of his condescending manner and general lack of appreciation for where he is and how lucky he is to managing our club.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #20139 on: September 26, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »

Or both.

Or hates Blues and Albion!!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #20140 on: September 26, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
The inexperienced Frank Lampard just did his mentor Jose Mourinho. Right now I would lay rose petals at the feet of Henry or Terry if it signaled the end of Steve Bruce. That article is in one word, precise.

This is what I don't get. Lampard has managed a Carabao Cup win against Man United, and has a managerial career of 9 league matches. Henry has never managed.

I appreciate that sometimes, managers in their first job do well, but more often that not, they don't.

I don't see the point in replacing Bruce with someone else likely to fail.

There's a common argument on here that "anyone who isn't Bruce" will do, which usually comes from the same people (talking in general here, TV) who are vociferous in their view of Bruce as shit.

But if he's really that shit, does 'better than Bruce' not represent the absolute lowest bar possible? Wouldn't it mean, by their own argument, pretty much anyone will be better?

Isn't it the faintest of praise?

What we need as a club is not to go batshit and sack Bruce without any thought about who comes next, we need to get our thinking caps on and act like a properly run club which plans things, and not just appoint a new guy on the basis of he's better than the last guy (but then again, so was pretty much everyone).

We don't need toys to be thrown from prams in a fit of pique that Bruce must go immediately, we need a grown up to look with realism at the situation, and make the best move for the long term development of the club.

BTW - just for clarity, I want Bruce gone, too, I am not defending him in any way, shape or form, but the adrenaline rush from being rid of him would last about a week before we made the next panic appointment and things started to go wrong again. I am tired of that.

If we are looking to appoint a Director of Football, then I don't think he will be going anywhere until someone is installed in that role.  Hopefully that person will then do the kind of planning talked about above and will look at managers who they feel will be able to execute that plan.   

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #20141 on: September 26, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
If Dean Smith is not experienced enough, how on earth would Terry or Henry be a better fit ?

I believe that there is a very high probability that all three would fail at Villa and the next managerial appointment has to be the right one (no pressure Mr Purslow !)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #20142 on: September 26, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
If the former Chelsea number 26 hadn't spent a season at Villa would people still be suggesting him for the job?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #20143 on: September 26, 2018, 03:00:49 PM »
I doubt it.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #20144 on: September 26, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
 I would imagine it's based on an affinity he developed with us during his time here, in spite of the vitriol directed to him during many Chavski visits to Villa Park. Of course, his warm words could have been BS.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal