collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Invincibles vs Forest post-match thread  (Read 16876 times)

Offline coreyfeldman

Re: Invincibles vs Forest post-match thread
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2017, 10:41:06 PM »
36% possession, if we don't learn to to hold onto the ball better we are going to struggle to win consistently, a better side than Forest would have made us pay today. Saving grace for Bruce is there isn't much quality down here to take advantage of the fact we're not really a very good side, we just have very good individuals who keep saving us.

exactly this. we are relying heavily on a couple of quality players and fortunate that the opposition are worse than us. happy with result but can't see how this is sustainable

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2017, 10:46:45 PM »
Good win, but I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed by it.

Forest passed the ball for fun for the entire game. We generally give it away in seconds or when we can't pass it anymore and just hoof it forward. We were fortunate Forest didn't really have much cutting edge.

On the plus side, Sam Johnstone again, Terry again, and certainly Bert on the wing. Great free kick from CH, although everything he did during the game seemed to go sideways and backwards. Good to see Kodjia get another 80 minutes too, lovely through ball for the first goal as well.

On the minus side, Snodgrass - I'm not sure exactly what he offers apart from jumping out of any tackle that might hurt him. Whelan - the turtle carrying weights.

I still look at that side on paper and say it's more than good enough for the top two. Then I watch the game unfold and think we'll be fortunate to make the play offs. If we can't control games we'll struggle more often than not.

Still, Sally can wait, and that's a good thing.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2017, 10:52:39 PM »
By playing 4-4-2 , when we come up against teams with 5 midfielders we are going to surrender alot of possession especially when you have 2 cms who have little pace and and specifically in Whelans case just play simple balls sideways or backwards.

Whelan for me was hopeless in the 2nd half gave the ball away and just doesn't influence game .Mentioned we didn't get many cross's in well thats what happens when you play wingers who on opposites sides to their strongest foot.Never are going to go to the byline to cross they are always looking to check inside 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2017, 11:04:43 PM »
Passes the ball for fun...in their own half and square. Yet another side who are utterly toothless in possession. All the penetration of a damp wheatabix.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2017, 11:04:49 PM »
We won, I thought we looked half decent and I thought we were the better team. Back in the day you wouldn't even have a clue what the possession percentage was but these days it is used as a stick to beat a team with even when they have won.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2017, 11:07:56 PM »
He was making an observation. Was there really any need for that on this thread?

Not saying it's right but Brighton fans have chants aimed at them every week and nothing is said or done. Now two women have complained about a few chants and it's in the press. It may have all been light hearted for all we know. It's a football match and banter occurs, people get called fat bastard or ginger bastard etc all the time.

As for the Lukaku chant, there's nothing wrong with it and isn't racist in the slightest. Just people trying to make something of nothing yet again and PC gone mad in this country.

He will always need to be called out until he retracts this fucking abomination.

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2017, 11:55:47 PM »
Ffs, what on earth is this? Get a grip of yourself

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2017, 12:01:30 AM »
Ffs, what on earth is this? Get a grip of yourself

He should indeed.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2017, 12:13:31 AM »
Good win. Scrappy game. The sort settled by something a bit special, thanks Hourihane for that. He is becoming a very handy one to have around, and that should be the last we see of Snodgrass over a free kick!

Whelan. Just fucking why. We have to address the Whelan/ Jedinak position with someone who is younger, more athletic, can actually pass and does not move at the pace of a mart kart on its last legs. He was fucking awful today. Imagine dropping Gueye back in now alongside Hourihane. Or Delph.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2017, 12:27:00 AM »
Good win. Scrappy game. The sort settled by something a bit special, thanks Hourihane for that. He is becoming a very handy one to have around, and that should be the last we see of Snodgrass over a free kick!

Whelan. Just fucking why. We have to address the Whelan/ Jedinak position with someone who is younger, more athletic, can actually pass and does not move at the pace of a mart kart on its last legs. He was fucking awful today. Imagine dropping Gueye back in now alongside Hourihane. Or Delph.

Or Onomah, rather than asking him to be Teddy Sheringham.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2017, 01:23:02 AM »
It's 6 undefeated in the league. One goal conceded in almost 7 hours of football.

It's not pretty, but it seems to be getting more effective. I'll not complain at another win. If we keep this up we'll do okay but it does look precarious.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2017, 02:24:24 AM »
Nice 3 points.  Just watching old Villa games on YouTube and saw the defenders for the line  up for the League Cup Final in 96.
 Ehiogu McGrath and Southgate.

Them were the days. 

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2017, 03:10:15 AM »

Or Onomah, rather than asking him to be Teddy Sheringham.

I agree. Rudy Can't Fail mentioned in a previous thread how Onomah's best performances for England were in more of a holding role. He's got the energy to do it, and is a damn good passer of the ball.

A win is a win, and when we play properly, we look a threat. I just wish the potato wasn't so terrified of losing.

Onwards and upwards.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2017, 03:13:04 AM »
Surprised this thread seems a bit down given it feels to me - quite possibly delusional - that we've turned a corner. We're never going to play silky football under Bruce (and we've not done so for the best part of a decade) but if he gets results this relationship works, for now.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2017, 03:55:45 AM »
Surprised this thread seems a bit down given it feels to me - quite possibly delusional - that we've turned a corner. We're never going to play silky football under Bruce (and we've not done so for the best part of a decade) but if he gets results this relationship works, for now.

It does work, Matt, you're right. But I noticed the 'for now', at the end of your post, and I agree with that, too.

It's evident that the pressure has got to Bruce a bit, and in a way, I'm glad. It might be the catalyst to spur him on and prove people wrong, if you like. Fans want to see some dominant, 90 minute performances, which with our squad in this league, should happen regularly.

He's never going to help himself by bringing on or starting Hutton, Agbonlahor, Richards, Samba or Elphick because everyone knows they aren't very good. But he persists in doing so. He can't resist sly digs at people who don't like seeing such players or bland performances. He also can't resist playing players like Elmohamady in their wrong position, after spending decent money on people like Bree, who is a natural right back.

Until he gets the basics in place, it's going to be difficult to play what he calls 'expansive football'. He could do if he wasn't such a dinosaur, and in my opinion he's made a rod for his own back.

Good luck to him, and I'll tolerate him if we keep winning. But in the future, if the Premier League beckons again, he's going to have to deal with absolute fury playing in such a way. And he'll be sacked unless he learns.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 04:02:45 AM by Axl Rose »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal