collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 621660 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
In my very personal, very humble opinion, the Villa problems of the post Ellis era cannot be bundled up and dumped on two owners, Lerner and Xia both of whom sustained very heavy financial haircuts for the privilege of owning Aston Villa.  Our failure has been systemic and it is that systemic failure from the top to the bottom of the club that now needs to be addressed.
Yes, it seems there has been an apparent lack of understanding about how to create a sustainable and club-wide framework in which good players can be acquired, developed and allowed to do what they do best. It is not only poor process; it’s been a lack of focus on developing a culture which encourages the ‘right’ behaviours and defines who to bring in to enhance the playing squad. All of which would have enhanced the academy’s and other playing staff; and the non-playing staff.
Ellis lacked that last bit (culture development) as well, but at least made up for it with the right administrators and some process.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:02:58 AM by Mister E »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2018, 09:16:52 AM »
Interestingly, Adidas has a net worth of about $37 billion (2017 figure). Nassef Sawiris is it's largest individual shareholder at 6% holding. He bought in when Adidas was going through a rough spell in 2014. Afterwards the brand soared in the next 2 years. He seems a very astute businessman looking at articles I've read. I reckon we'll see Villa in Adidas kit at some point - not sure how long the Luke 1977 agreement runs for?
If he is an astute business man, and I believe he is as he is considerably wealthy, he would instruct  his management to do the most commercially favourable kit deal not just move to Adidas.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »
Anyone else read it NSWE as North, South, West and East?

Yes

Offline olaftab

« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
Anyone else read it NSWE as North, South, West and East?

It’s NSFW in my eyes.
Everything must start in the land of rising sun so it should be EWNS. We will conquer the world. This was always the real Xia plan.😧

Offline villabear

« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »

Offline olaftab

« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
In my very personal, very humble opinion, the Villa problems of the post Ellis era cannot be bundled up and dumped on two owners, Lerner and Xia both of whom sustained very heavy financial haircuts for the privilege of owning Aston Villa.  Our failure has been systemic and it is that systemic failure from the top to the bottom of the club that now needs to be addressed.
Yes Brian we have been painting over the damp patch time and time again instead of fixing it.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
Sunday Times article regarding takeover:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/billionaires-ride-in-to-rescue-aston-villa-l2fdpkvk6
Sort of headline that must be music to the ears of fans of our neighbours. Any chance you could cut and paste the whole article please?

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
Our last two owners have to a large extent bought into, the get the club to the top quick schemes, and have been very reliant on the Manager for their football advice. When you think of the no marks we have had here, since pube head did one, it is not very surprising we found ourselves where we are at the moment.
Lerner to start with and Xia seemed to think keep in contact with the supporters, Krulak and Dr No on twitter, it will be fine, but still only telling us what they want to hear, i.e. Dr No and Wyness plan B.
I hope our new owners set the framework up correctly and if I do not see either off them on Twitter, twatter or whatever, that will be fine with me. Any required statements come out of the Media side of Villa park, not some sodomite and emoji crap we have had to put up with and only inform us when it requires us to know.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #203 on: July 22, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »
Our last two owners have to a large extent bought into, the get the club to the top quick schemes, and have been very reliant on the Manager for their football advice. When you think of the no marks we have had here, since pube head did one, it is not very surprising we found ourselves where we are at the moment.
Lerner to start with and Xia seemed to think keep in contact with the supporters, Krulak and Dr No on twitter, it will be fine, but still only telling us what they want to hear, i.e. Dr No and Wyness plan B.
I hope our new owners set the framework up correctly and if I do not see either off them on Twitter, twatter or whatever, that will be fine with me. Any required statements come out of the Media side of Villa park, not some sodomite and emoji crap we have had to put up with and only inform us when it requires us to know.

I agree but you can have the best framework and Football structures in the world but the whole thing lives or dies depending on who the manager is

Man Utd are the biggest footballing global brand but it was only built to the size it is now on what Fergie was doing on the training pitch

the manager is the single most important person at any Football club
until you get that right you are heading nowhere

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »
Good reading that article.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
Sunday Times article regarding takeover:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/billionaires-ride-in-to-rescue-aston-villa-l2fdpkvk6
Sort of headline that must be music to the ears of fans of our neighbours. Any chance you could cut and paste the whole article please?

Here you go, pal.

Billionaires ride in to rescue Aston Villa
Investors raise promotion hopes after buying 55 per cent stake in the club

Ian Whittell
July 22 2018, 12:01am, The Sunday Times

England’s World Cup defeat by Croatia 11 days ago may have resulted in national disappointment, but for Aston Villa supporters it could prove to have been one of the most pivotal events in the club’s history, given what was unfolding in an Idaho hotel room as the semi-final took place.

Sequestered there while attending the annual Sun Valley “moguls” conference were billionaire friends Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens. By the end of the evening and despite the anti-climax of seeing the team they were supporting lose, the pair had hatched a plan to buy Villa.

Nine days later, the pair had each bought 27.5% of the Championship club from Tony Xia, for a controlling interest in a venture he had mortgaged to the hilt in a gamble to win promotion, only for the team to fall short in the playoff final against Fulham in May.

Given the Midlands club’s current debt, the pair were able to wrestle the 55% controlling interest for £30m although if the new owners are to fulfil the ambition of Xia, they are looking at bankrolling manager Steve Bruce with a considerably larger sum.

“They obviously have deep pockets,” said a source close to the deal. “They spoke about ‘the upper echelons of English football’ so they are not going into this to stay in the Championship.

“They are genuine football fans. Nassef, in particular, is a pretty private guy for a man of his wealth. He is not doing this because he is a brash guy who wants to splash the cash. He’s doing it primarily for his love of the game and that applies to both of them.”

If the speed and efficient nature of their takeover is anything to go by, Villa supporters could be in for a spectacular ride. Within three days of the Croatia game, Sawiris, a London-based Egyptian businessman worth an estimated £5.2bn, and Edens had relocated to the Hilton on Edgware Road for meetings. By last Monday, talks with Xia concluded at Sopwell House in St Albans, where a deal was finalised.

The purchase marks the fulfilment of the billionaires’ long-standing interest in the sport. Edens, a co-owner in NBA team the Milwaukee Bucks, had attended every World Cup since USA 1994 until this summer and spoke to the former England captain David Beckham about becoming involved in his Miami MLS franchise, while Sawiris’ array of business interests includes a board position at Adidas.

The pair would not be the first successful businessmen to flounder in football — as Xia will testify after a summer in which playoff defeat was followed by an unpaid £4m tax bill and concerns about Villa’s inability to meet the Football League’s financial fair play regulations concerning “profitability and sustainability”.

The situation led to an acceptance that any saleable assets — particularly the creative midfielder Jack Grealish, aged 22 — would be liable to being sold and drove Xia to look for fresh investment.

The crisis also created uncertainty over the status of veteran manager Bruce and he, as well as the club’s immediate financial obligations and transfer policy, will be widely examined by the new owners when they convene with Xia at Villa Park, possibly as early as tomorrow. Villa open the Championship season with a tricky trip to Hull City on Monday, August 6.

Short-term, sources talk of “stabilising” the club’s finances while the duo are bullish about the need to find a way to not only bring in new blood but also keep players such as Grealish.

Longer-term, they have spoken of investing heavily in youth development and competing for honours, while Villa fans can expect a more “traditional” approach from the reserved Sawiris. Xia’s eccentric social media antics could be a thing of the past.

Indeed, whether Xia has a long-term role remains to be seen. With Sawiris “executive chairman” and Edens “co-chairman,” Xia remains on the board, for now, with his minority interest.

There is, therefore, a large element of the unknown facing Villa but, if the success Edens has enjoyed in running the Bucks over the past four years is anything to go by, the signs are good. Not only has the basketball team’s value nearly doubled to just over a billion dollars but the club recently re-signed star player Giannis Antetokounmpo to a four-year, £76.1m contract worth £366,000 a week. Bruce and Villa fans dare only dream of such a future.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:46:41 AM by Axl Rose »

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
Sorry duplicate paste from the Times.

I particularly liked this bit:

"If the speed and efficient nature of their takeover is anything to go by, Villa supporters could be in for a spectacular ride."

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:46:24 AM by mrfuse »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2018, 10:40:25 AM »
Has anyone seen if their shoes are any good?

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
Nerd a
The new owners are already identified by the letters NSWE.  As you walk up Trinity Road look up at the spire of Holy Trinity church.  A cock of the walk on the very top surmounting the letters NSWE.

It has to be an omen.

Praise be: it's a sign!

ps I hope you'll be out & about today collecting shoes, Brian. You KNOW it makes sense. ;)
Lets hope it's not all in vane :) ( I know the spelling is different but a pun is a pun!)

Good work, Sir. I can see this thread is now heading in the right direction.  8)
Honestly, some of you just go whichever way the wind is blowing

If the bells are ringing we can aspire to greater things.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2018, 10:50:21 AM »
Cheers Axl.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal