collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1538571 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2715 on: January 23, 2019, 01:41:21 AM »
I agree but it was Brassneck that said he wasn't half the player Jack is and that he's overrated which I disagree with as for his age he's a cracking player with the stats to back it up and is one we'd love to have come through our ranks.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2716 on: January 23, 2019, 06:32:01 AM »
I was on about in his career not just last season. If someone who is over 4 years younger and has scored twice as many goals and has more assists in their career than Jack has is overrated, then what does that make Jack. And Sessegnon has 2 goals and 5 assists this season which isn't bad for an 18 year old in a struggling side. By comparison Jack has 1 goal and 1 assist in the top flight.

What does that make Jack?  Look at how the team has performed since he’s been out of the side.  And don’t get fooled that last seasons upsurge after Xmas was down to Agnew like many did because it wasn’t.  It was down to Jack returning.  Everything comes through Jack and he has had a hand in many goals this season.  Your stats won’t list those though because someone else made the final pass/cross.

As for Sessegnon, yes, he did well for 18 months considering his age by scoring those goals but I repeat, many games passed him by.  This season he has struggled.  Be that being down to the step up or because of a drop in form, I don’t know but he’s currently either being subbed or not starting for the bottom side.

I believe that he is overrated and now that the inevitable dry patch as far as goals are concerned has arrived, he is struggling to get into a poor side.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2717 on: January 23, 2019, 08:05:42 AM »
To be fair to Sessegnon he is playing in a team who look out of their depth in the top flight. Like a lot of our new signings going into our relegation season. How good he actually is will probably reflected by who does or doesn't buy him when Fulham go back down.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2718 on: January 23, 2019, 08:35:49 AM »
Agree Damo.  Quality players need the playing environment of good, preferably winning, football to develop their full potential, eg Gary Cahill, Marc Albrighton, Barry Bannon (yes, seriously) and others.

Offline kieron

« Reply #2719 on: January 23, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »
New interview.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2720 on: January 23, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »
Hope it's just me but he's beginning to look like Steve Bruce after he's had a gastric band fitted. My advice Dean is to go down the gym more often, have a shave and resist any temptation to use the same hair stylist your mum does.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2721 on: January 23, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
Hope it's just me but he's beginning to look like Steve Bruce after he's had a gastric band fitted. My advice Dean is to go down the gym more often, have a shave and resist any temptation to use the same hair stylist your mum does.
If Mrs Smith snr has short back and sides I'm worried for her. I think the effervescence of earlier interviews has deserted him and that's surely down to results. That and the realization of the true scale of the rebuilding job he's inherited.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2722 on: January 23, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
If Mrs Smith snr has short back and sides I'm worried for her. I think the effervescence of earlier interviews has deserted him and that's surely down to results. That and the realization of the true scale of the rebuilding job he's inherited.

yeah, its a totally different ballgame managing a club like Villa even when things are going well, no disrespect to Brentford. to be fair he's still talking a lot of sense imo. Obviously very disappointed in our continuing inability to defend.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2723 on: January 23, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »
I still like him.  I really hope he can turn things round and be our manager for a few years to come.

I did note he mentioned the crowd a couple of times (it's different watching the game without sound & referring to all the moans and groans).  If Bruce had said that there would have been over analysis of every word saying he was having a go at the fans.  Not a criticism of Smith or defence of Bruce, just and observation.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2724 on: January 23, 2019, 11:52:35 AM »
I do love this guy and how he talks about football minus the inevitable clichés and for ever stating the opposition was " set up to counter attack".

I liked how he talks about control and controling the game and performance.

There were touch of Bruce ism in there, but any manager / coach would be defending certain aspects  like the spin on 2 defeats in 13 for example.

At least Dean Smith is honest and accurate though.

Also from how I see it as a coach first and foremost he talks like a coach who wants to develop players.
And now an emphasis on younger players too

My shock , however it's a given reality , is that used terms along lines of driving up "(Andre)green market value" and that talk although annoying is at least honest , very Brentford and actually probably where villa are nowadays.

Developing youth is good for a number of reasons and one clearly seems to be from the business side.
As much as it is from footballing side.
Have valued assets and making money .
Bolasie for a variety of reasons has left as he is a cost and it's more cost effective to have Green.

Smith gave justification (perhaps orders) to note that we spend money on academy players development so intending to bring them in .

He also seems to love mentioning the behind closed doors matches which is good from a players point of view and hearing they have game time and giving 90 minute practice but it's not the exact same intensity.
What's good is he has methods and has disclosed what he likes to do

I really like his attitude and his determination and given time and right conditions will have his team playing how he wants and successful.

I like that the interview and previous interview seem to be put out to keep the fans onside, in the loop and justify what's going on .

What I do wonder are some intentions and as part of rebuild how it's being marketed .

Clearly he's a thinking guy and isn't just peddling out soon from the owners /CEO but I do see shades of that as he is a football coach first .

I do enjoy hearing him talk on any tactics , ideas and all the football stuff way more than anything else.
And he's insightful and clear and progressive in what he wants from his and our football team !

Up the villa
Come on Deano !

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2725 on: January 23, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »
I still like him.  I really hope he can turn things round and be our manager for a few years to come.

I did note he mentioned the crowd a couple of times (it's different watching the game without sound & referring to all the moans and groans).  If Bruce had said that there would have been over analysis of every word saying he was having a go at the fans.  Not a criticism of Smith or defence of Bruce, just and observation.

He has mentioned the crowd, but from a position of understanding, of being a fan himself. Bruce et al always thought they were above it and subject to criticism for being ex-Bluenose etc. rather than because it was a shit performance.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2726 on: January 23, 2019, 12:53:01 PM »
I read on the Mail website that Dean and CEO are to have a meeting about the players whose contracts are up at the end of the season, and whether to offer them a new deal!

Personally I hope that we have a real cull of any player out of contract and for me the lot can go.

Dean needs to get his own team around him.

I read on another Villa website (there are others) that a few of the older players are not happy with Dean's management and the style of play that he wants us to play.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2727 on: January 23, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
I think that some of the older players will simply not be capable of playing Smiths pressing game.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2728 on: January 23, 2019, 01:08:48 PM »
The older, unhappy players are very welcome to eff off up to Hillsborough.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2729 on: January 23, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
I read on the Mail website that Dean and CEO are to have a meeting about the players whose contracts are up at the end of the season, and whether to offer them a new deal!

Personally I hope that we have a real cull of any player out of contract and for me the lot can go.

Dean needs to get his own team around him.

I read on another Villa website (there are others) that a few of the older players are not happy with Dean's management and the style of play that he wants us to play.

I am pretty sure most will go , but he can not say that now

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal